Broadway Plaza Preps for Expansion

Sommar Veverka, Staff Writer

The sixty year-old, Walnut Creek, outdoor shopping mall, Broadway Plaza, is preparing for an expansion that will begin Feb. 17. The retail buildings and parking garages between Nordstrom and Macy’s on the east side of Broadway Plaza St. will be demolished and reconstructed over a 24 month period.
The Macerich Company, owners of Broadway Plaza, have already begun to kick out and move tennates into different spaces this past November. Some stores, including Claire’s and Yogurt Park, have already been closed down.
Yogurt Park was forced to close down, for the first time in 26 years. “Yogurt park closing is such a devastation because it is one of the few places that have girl scout cookie toppings,” sophomore Finny Murphy said. Yogurt Park will reopen in two years when Broadway Plaza is complete.
The west side of Broadway Plaza will also undergo construction.  In March of 2012 the third and most recent department store, Neiman Marcus was added to the shopping mall.
Nordstroms also underwent a major remodel in June 2011. This year, a remodel of Macy’s was approved on Jan. 15. When the full remodel is complete, the center will have three sparkly new department stores for shoppers to enjoy.
The plan would add 3,000 square feet to the 25 acre project. The grand opening of the  Broadway Plaza center will be in 2016.