Administration Suspends VPA Classes

Capa+Dance

Capa Dance

Elena Wasserman, Breaking News Editor

Rumor has it that VPA, Visual and Performing Art, classes are being cut due to funding cuts, but this is not the case; some classes are being cut because they did not receive enough student sign-ups.

One VPA class is required for graduation, but other than that, students are free to choose as they wish for their course schedule, and with the pressure of getting into competitive colleges, more students are choosing to add another academic course to their load rather than a VPA.

“So many students don’t understand how important art classes are,” Principal Adam Clark said. “More and more students are cutting out the creative side of them, but don’t understand that colleges actually want to see that.”

Due to lack of sign-ups, Video Production will no longer be an offered elective next year, and there will only be three Art classes instead of five. However, more computer programing classes will be offered.

“EFO pays for the elective classes, such as Art, but we need students to sign up for them,” Clark said.

The administration is not looking to cut any more classes, but they are trying to service the students Miramonte has, and what classes they are most interested in signing up for. However, the administration is adamant about encouraging students to take classes that they enjoy, and not only hard academic ones for their college application.

“It’s hard to choose classes that you want to do and that are more fun while colleges are demanding more academic classes,” sophomore Kelly Mckeen said.

“Students now are feeling like visual arts don’t hold as much credit in college admissions,” sophomore Lucy Wilmot said. “However, actually sticking to a certain art passion is another unique quality – what college doesn’t want a cool artist?”

With college applications creeping into every Miramonte student’s mind, it is important to the administration, and students, that they don’t lose sight of what they’re passionate about.

“I believe that being well rounded and showing that I’m passionate about what I do, and that I’m not just doing it for college’s sake, is half the reason I got into the schools I got into,” senior Maya Konstantino said. “We shouldn’t lose ourselves in order to reach college; if we sit around and study only because we want an acceptance letter from a brand name school, we forgot about the important things in life.”