Schools Integrate Common Core

Libby Dunne, Staff Writer

Common Core testing is now being adopted by many schools around the nation. But with this adoption comes many changes and different standards that will need to be taught to students starting at an early age.
State education chiefs and governors from 48 states came together to develop the Common Core Standards, in hopes that all students around the nation will learn the same information and develop the same skills at the same time which are necessary for both college and career.
With new standards, new textbooks will need to be made and adopted by schools. Writing a new textbook is very time consuming, and it may be a few years before they are used at Miramonte.
The new standards will cover information taught from Kindergarten to 12th grade to ensure that students are prepared for the Common Core testing and will have a consistent flow of similar information throughout their pre-college education. Students will take their first Common Core test in third grade, but will begin learning the new Common Core curriculum in Kindergarten.
Common Core Standards require teachers to go more in depth about fewer topics. The standards are intended to show students more connections between topics from different grade levels, so they can build upon subjects they learned in previous years.
The Common Core Standards are more demanding than those of the Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) tests, but better prepare students for information that will aid them later in life.
The Common Core State Standard officials are not currently making tests for subjects other than Mathematics and English, but specific states and other organizations have begun compiling common standards for science, world languages, and the arts.
Miramonte will be slowly changing their curriculum to match with the Common Core Standards, but it should take a few years to fully implicate. Next year, teachers may change their curriculum to fit the Common Core Standards more closely while waiting for the school to adopt new books.