Man Shot at Local Wiz Khalifa Concert

Reilly Moran, Staff Writer

During a Wiz Khalifa concert at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, CA that was attended by multiple Miramonte students, East Bay resident Eric Johnson was fatally shot on Aug. 22. Johnson, 38, was shot six times before being transported to a hospital, passing away early the next morning. Khalifa proceeded to tweet “This was a senseless tragedy. Violence is never the answer. My prayers go out to the victim’s family.”

Six arrests were made, one being rap and hip hop star Jay “Young Jeezy” Jenkins, 36, who was on tour with Khalifa. An assault rifle was found in Jenkins’s tour bus after law enforcement got a warrant to search the vehicle. He is currently being detained in the Orange County Police Department with a $1 million bail. Khalifa’s concert the next day in Chula Vista, CA was cancelled “due to a situation out of our control.” Michigan State University also cancelled Khalifa’s early September tour date for concern about the safety of the students.

Miramonte students attended the concert, like sophomore Vivian McGowan. McGowan was, “terrified by the fact that someone had a gun the whole time she was there and no one knew.” She found out on her ride home from the concert when senior Jack Conner was driving her and told her there might have been a shooting, and then sent her a link the next morning with a story attached. “I was pretty freaked out,” McGowan said.