Mats Anticipate Performers for Progress

Kelly Cheng, Staff Writer

This Friday, talented Miramonte students will showcase their abilities in the performing arts with the nonprofit student-run production, Performers for Progress. Dancers, musicians, and comedians will have the opportunity to demonstrate their artistic talents while supporting charitable organizations around the world.

This year, the production will raise money for Calli House, a young shelter located in Richmond, designed to provide emergency services to and address the needs of runaway and homeless teens in the Contra Costa area. Calli House provides refuge from the streets and attends to the basic needs of teens ages 14-21 with food, clothing, crisis intervention and case management. Education and health care are available and support groups and health education workshops are held weekly to aid in the stabilization and development of  youth.

In the past, Performers for Progress has raised funds to benefit a number of charity organizations around the world. Just last spring, the production raised nearly $9,000 for Urban Tilth, an organization that cultivates a sustainable and healthy food system within their community.

The shows will only run for two days, currently scheduled for Friday, Oct. 24 and Saturday, Oct. 25 at 7 p.m. in the Miramonte Theatre. Tickets are on sale online until 3 p.m. on the day of each performance for $10 and $15 for students and adults respectively, but are currently online at the Webstore for reserved seating at $20.