Public Speakers Showcase Skills

Public Speakers Showcase Skills

Jacob Thomas, Staff Writer

Miramonte’s Public Speaking program had a showcase on Thursday, Jan. 29 and Friday, Jan. 30. The showcase started at 7 p.m. both nights inside the Miramonte theatre. This program has been going strong for 37 years and this event provided a much needed deep breath in the middle of a long year.

The speakers that performed qualified as the best of the best of the Miramonte Public Speaking program. Speakers included junior Sam Miles, junior Konnie Guo, senior Sean McFeely, junior Caiseen Kelley, senior Ray Barrie-Kivel, senior Tom Kadie, senior Cole Wirtz, senior Fatima Hasanain, senior Alex Jang, senior Cece Andrews, senior Max Han, and senior Owen Chang.

“Surprisingly, there was a much bigger turnout than I thought. This was a pretty big night because it highlighted all the hard work everybody has done,” Miles said.

Led by the Master of Ceremonies Sean McFeely, there were six oratories on Thursday and an extra speech by Chang on Friday. Both nights hosted sold out crowds.

The activities that happened throughout the night were a Congressional Debate with a topic of U.S. military drone strikes, a couple rotary speeches by Barrie-Kivel and Andrews, and a thematic interpretation speech by Kelley. Alongside these articulations were Miles’ humorous interpretation speech and an original oratory by Hasanain.

“I thought that it showed how hard our students work and how great they are, and it shows how we have some of the best speakers in the country,” Head Coach Kristen Plant said.

The Showcase was huge success and it was another way to celebrate our accomplished and well-organized Public Speaking program.