Case Closed: What’s the Deal With Campus Parking Tickets?

Back to Article
Back to Article

C. Haskell

C. Haskell

C. Haskell

Clayton Haskell, Staff Writer

For years students have been receiving parking tickets from the school, but many are unsure about how the school actually enforces them. The school doesn’t actually handle the enforcement and payment of these tickets.

According to Campus Supervisor Mark Graminski, a processing company in Denver is supposed to collect the money and notify the DMV if the person doesn’t pay. “I don’t really know what happens after I write the ticket because that is up to the processing company,” Graminski said.

There are two types of tickets that students can receive during the school day. The first is a warning, which involves no payment and is solely used as a way to scare students into fixing their bad parking habits. If the bad parking continues or or if there is a blatant offense, then the second type of ticket comes out. This ticket is the same as one that you would receive for a parking violation outside of school, and comes with a $20 fine.

These tickets are most commonly given out for parking in the junior lot (J lot) without a pass, and parking in the no parking zones of the pool lot. Graminski also recognizes cars, and he is more likely to give a ticket involving a fine to a senior who should know the rules rather than a sophomore who just got their license.

One senior, Nicholas Vacakis, is no stranger to these tickets. Vacakis has received around eight of the paid tickets which adds up to $160 in fines, except he has yet to pay one dollar. “I used to get a lot of tickets for parking in the J lot without a pass, but would never pay them and nothing bad would happen,” said Vacakis. He usually just takes the tickets home and throws them away.

Not once did Vacakis receive a letter from the processing company encouraging him to pay for the tickets. He did end up purchasing a J lot pass because he was tired of seeing tickets on his car.

One interesting situation with the parking enforcement at Miramonte is the after school hours. When there is a sporting event at either the pool, the baseball field, or the football field, the pool lot can fill up very quickly. There are some no parking zones in that lot that are usually occupied during these sporting events. While these instances usually go unticketed, if a police officer were to drive by he or she could ticket all of the cars parked in the no parking zones. Graminski warns students to refrain from parking in these zones because it can make the area overcrowded and potentially slow down an emergency vehicle.