Miramonte Blood Drive Is a Success

Grayson Judge, Staff Writer

The Miramonte blood drive was held yesterday in the small gym. Student had to sign up the week before to reserve an appointment time to have their blood drawn. However, more walk ins than were expected showed up, overwhelming the system and causing long waiting times.

Students first had to answer a series of questions and have a small blood sample taken to assure they were clear of infectious diseases or poor quality blood. They then had to wait for a chair or machine to open up. After having their blood drawn, students were required to sit in the recovery area for at least 15 minutes while their body adjusted to the loss of blood. In all, the whole process took around two hours.

Blood Centers of the Pacific, the non profit that organized yesterday’s blood drive, is community-based organization that provides blood and blood components to hospitals, physicians and patients throughout Northern California. It also houses the Blood Systems Research Institute which conducts medical research to improve blood safety and patient care. Blood Centers of the Pacific helps 50,000 patients every year with blood donated by community volunteers.

Leadership organizer Jen Stanten ‘15 said the drive was a success and Leadership hopes to continue the tradition again next year.