Students Give Another Successful Performers for Progress

Kelly Cheng, Staff Writer

With acts varying from singing to magic tricks, Performers for Progress delivered yet another successful Spring production last weekend. Held on April 17 and 18 in the Miramonte theatre, the performances featured pies in the faces of the co-producers, seniors Sam Shain and Marina Box, and a smashed guitar as the finale of Saturday’s show.

This season’s show raised $$$ for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, a non-profit organization dedicated to educating the public and supporting those affected by suicide. While preparing for the showcase, Shain struggled with the decision of which charity to support in the Spring performances. “I wanted to leave Performers for Progress knowing that I had hit all facets of charity that exist. When I was considering what I might be missing, I thought about what problems Orinda faces as a community. That is when I was told about the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. My intention with the promotion of this charity was to demonstrate that our community may contain flaws, but we’re here to support one another in times of need,” Shain said.

The conclusion of the Spring production marked the passage of leadership from Shain and Box onto juniors Isabelle Kimura and Natalie Tang for next year. Tang, who has had a hand in running the Performers for Progress productions since her freshman year, is excited to be able to personally take action and help transform the talent of Matadors into a showcase that benefits others.

“The main lesson I have learned from my three years thus far with Performers for Progress is that with proper communication and managing, two groups of wonderful people with different skills can come together and produce one of the most beautiful fabrications of passion. Of course, I am not able to discuss what I have learned from Performers for Progress without mentioning Sam Shain. He is there because he genuinely cares about the wellbeing of the school and community, and I could not have asked for a better mentor. I am so honored to have been chosen to continue his legacy,” Tang said.

“Performers for Progress has been a pretty significant part of my life. It brings me a kind of joy no other activity I engage in does. Getting to see Miramonte students all come together for a single cause and do what they love is amazing to me. I feel so privileged and humbled to have been a part of such an incredible movement. I would like to thank the Miramonte staff, faculty, and student body for their support and for keeping Performers for Progress running all these years. It has been a fun ride that I’ll cherish forever,” Shain said.