Miramonte Proves There’s No Place Like Homecoming

Photo: Lizzie Fabian

Photo: Lizzie Fabian

Ari Stein, Staff Writer

It’s that time of year again Homecoming week has finally arrived. This year’s was a spin off of The Wizard of Oz, complete with themed days, activities at lunch, a rally and, of course, the football game.

After much deliberation, the Leadership class decided on the theme “There’s no place like homecoming.” Prior to this decision, ASB President Elizabeth Hofinga said, “a few people from the Leadership class traveled to UC Santa Barbara for a leadership camp and they brainstormed about three possible homecoming themes. Once we started the school year, we took a class vote and decided on this year’s theme.”

To kick off the week, students dressed in as many colors as possible for “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” At lunch, there was a game of Twister to go along with the color theme.

Leopard-print leggings took over campus on Tuesday for “Lions and Tigers and Bears … Oh My.” Students dressed in a variety of animal prints, some even as animals. To accompany this day, there was a game of volleyball on the quad at lunch.

Seeing double? That’s because Wednesday was twin day. Students purposely wore the same outfit as their friends for “Which Witch is Which?” The final game of powderpuff was held during lunch and, while the seniors and juniors were playing, Associate Principal Zach Pinkerton was snapping GoPro pictures of various twins. As in most years, seniors came out on top in the game.

Miramonte may be far from Kansas, but it sure looked like the students were straight out of the countryside for “We’re Still in Kansas.” Overalls, camo, plaid and, most importantly, flannels populated the campus. Leadership set up a game of “find the quarter in the haystack” during lunch, which was exactly that. Students searched through a mound of hay to find that quarter. Also, there was a corn-shucking contest.

Today, Miramonte turned into a sea of green. All grades wore green for a “green out” at the rally. Tonight, Miramonte takes on Acalanes at home at 7 p.m. for the Homecoming game. Before the game there will be a 5:30 p.m. tailgate on the blacktop. There will be food, lawn games and music.

Students can attend the Yellow Brick Road dance Saturday night at 8 p.m. They are encouraged to wear gold and yellow. Unlike in past years, this year’s Homecoming dance is themed and not semi-formal. “We decided to do a dress-up themed dance instead of semi-formal to change things up and try to increase dance participation and attendance,” Hofinga said.