Miramonte Continues $200,000 Renovation of Baseball Field

A. Logan

Miramonte construction continues work despite muddy conditions. A $30,000 change order was eventually needed to bring in more soil.

Clayton Stehr, Sports Editor

Miramonte recently launched a thorough and complete repair of the baseball field, a renovation costing more than $200,000 and set to be completed by mid-January.

Athletic director and head baseball coach Vince Dell’Aquila brought the issue up to the school board last spring after it became apparent that the drainage ditches were settling. After taking a look at the field, the board decided to begin repairs, which started the week of Nov. 9. The massive project is funded in its entirety by the Acalanes Union High School District.  

The original $197,000 bid was proposed and approved by the district governing board, and since then the price has increased, as a $30,000 change order became necessary due to the need for more soil.

Where is this sum coming from? The funds aren’t pulled from the Miramonte school budget, as the district budget has an entire department responsible for allocating resources towards facilities and maintenance. What Principal Julie Parks deems “a difficult process,” the final approval of the proposal isn’t up to the school itself.

“We, as school district employees, will make recommendations to the board, and go and get bids to bring to the board, but ultimately the [elected governing] board is the body that makes the decision,” Parks said.  

Since the money from the state isn’t sufficient enough to carry out a project that requires such a large amount of capital, the money is pulled from the general fund, along with bond measures for facilities funded by taxpayers on property in the area.

However, concerns are being raised by players on the baseball team regarding the timing of the construction. Four-year starter and captain James Vacarro ‘16 remarked that he “wish[ed] the renovations on the field happened during the summer,” since the team is relegated to having informal practices on the turf field and isn’t able to have the customary open field practices on Saturdays like it have in the years past.

The timeliness of completion is also hampered by the weather, as construction gets set back a day for every time it rains since workers are unable to repair in the wet conditions. However, according to Dell’Aquila, even after factoring in numerous days of no construction due to rain, the field will be ready before the first official practice Feb. 8.