June: LGBTQ Awareness Month

Back to Article
Back to Article

June: LGBTQ Awareness Month

www.moma.org

www.moma.org

www.moma.org

Sofia Ruiz, Opinion Editor

Looking around, Kate Nerone and Anita Levin enjoy the pride parade in the city. Loud music, laughing throngs of people, all together to celebrate LGBTQ pride. Some people are dressed up in wild tutus or have rainbow colored fanny packs, but Nerone and Levin are dressed normally. Going to the parade was a last minute decision, but one that they did not regret.

San Francisco pride has been going on since 1970, and began as a remembrance of the Stonewall riots in 1969. Some people see it as a “rite of passage” for Bay Area citizens, and many Miramonte students enjoy going every year to support friends, celebrate themselves, and celebrate their whole communities, as well as the diversity found within them.

June is LGBTQ awareness month, and includes the San Francisco Pride Parade, which occurs June 25 and 26. The month reminds some people of why LGBTQ rights are still relevant, and brings up the important question of problems concerning the topic, and how to move forward. According to the CDC, “a national study of middle and high school students shows that LGBT students (61.1%) were more likely than their non-LGBT peers to feel unsafe or uncomfortable as a result of their sexual orientation.” Therefore, there is still a ways to go in this movement, but examples of initiative can be seen in the Bay Area, and specifically, among students at Miramonte.

The Stonewall riots of New York City in 1969 pushed the gay rights movement into view of a larger audience, after patrons of the gay bar, the Stonewall Inn, decided to riot against “a violent attack on gay men by off duty police officers,” according to The American Pageant. However, even before that violent incident, groups such as the Matachine Society (founded 1951) rallied for gay and lesbian rights.

Junior Kate Nerone went with now graduated student Anita Levin to “support her in any way she can. Pride is a way to celebrate your identities, rather than how you are perceived,” Nerone said.

Senior Forest Castillo, former Rainbow Club President, expressed that at Miramonte, it’s important to represent the LGBTQ community because “there are so many people who will be homophobic or gender exclusive, and won’t admit it … but people don’t want to made to feel lesser, they want to celebrate and have pride in themselves.”

Nerone and Levin enjoyed their day at the parade, finding a way to celebrate the LGBTQ community and spend some time with a friend.