Gas Prices: Still Not Politics

Kelsi Lerner, Staff Writer

The gas prices are too damn high.

As all American citizens know: gas prices are rising higher and higher. As a high school student with a car and a $20 allowance, if gas prices get any higher, I will actually have to sell a kidney. Or, you know, get a job or whatever.
The steady climb in gas prices has motivated more people to buy environmentally stable cars like Priuses. However, for those of us that don’t want to look like hippies, Priuses are not an option. After all, the Prius practically comes with Obama/Biden stickers pre-attached, and for some of us, this is simply not feasible.

Even with the Prius’s expensive price tag, cheaper options are becoming available. Still, people seem to oppose switching over to greener energy, and would rather fix our gas prices instead. Of all our options, though, why focus just on lowering gas prices? As it turns out, people still totally think that a presidential candidate alone can control gas prices.

In late February, when Newty announced he was going to get gas prices down to $2.50, the crowd stilled, Rick Santorum cried, and Mitt Romney facepalmed. Even though this was just a ploy to get American voters to start caring about him again, the idea that Newt Gingrich could control gas prices was hopeful to some, and totally ridiculous to others.

All in all, the gas prices debate is just one huge blame game. On one hand, we have Republicans blaming the high gas prices on Obama. And on the other hand, we have Democrats blaming the gas prices on Bush while continuously defending Obama’s inability to control the prices. Basically, nobody takes into account the things that really matter, like the world market or OPEC.

We’ve seen this earlier in the election, also. When Michelle Bachman came onto the scene with promises of gas prices down to $2.00 per gallon, the other candidates mocked her. Even Ron Paul joked that he could get gas prices down to a dime… a silver dime that is, a callback to his “hard money” policy.

So why is it that now gas prices are becoming an actual issue? Desperation is setting in, as people want to believe that their candidate can control how much they spend at the pump. The sad reality is that we’re probably going to have to suck it up and invest in cleaner energy. No single person or political party can control gas prices, but we can stop our reliance on gas altogether. The only way to fix our gas crisis is through greener energy, not election time semantics and propaganda.