Is Facebook Still Cool?- Pro

Is Facebook Still Cool?- Pro

Katie Hoskins, Editor-in-Chief

In middle school, I was always jealous of all the kids who had Facebook accounts. My friends would show up to school everyday and tell me about the funniest statuses from the previous night or a funny picture someone posted, as if they were members of an exclusive club in which everyone knows everything about everyone else, a mighty tool in the shark tank that was middle school.

So finally, in eighth grade, I decided to fight for my right to a Facebook profile. And after much persuading, debating and arguing with my parents, I was finally graced with the okay to set up my account. To this day, I believe that it was worth the fight, because Facebook is still my number one, go-to social networking site, even with the newly installed Timeline.

Let’s be honest, the number one use of Facebook is to stalk people. Now I’m not saying that the whole Miramonte student body is a set of sleep-deprived Internet creepers, but I know everyone uses Facebook to check up on friends or foes alike.  One of the things that makes Facebook so ideal for this sort of friendly paroozing is that it’s all in one place: photos, statues, places, relationships. You name it, it’s on a Facebook profile.

Though I’ve never had a Twitter account, I understand it’s a site where users can post short blurbs about whatever they want, similar to Facebook statuses, maybe even exactly the same. While this is all well and good, statuses are only one part of the wide range of information Facebook provides.

Facebook is also a great way to get in touch with people who suddenly go incommunicado texting-wise, see a clip of a funny movie, or find that former friend who moved across the country freshman year. With just a few clicks of your keyboard, you can share basically anything on the Internet with your friends and the rest of your news feed.

These random posts are often the biggest contributors to the smorgasbord of entertaining, procrastination worthy material that a Facebook news feed provides to the weary Miramonte student. After a long night of studying or composing a brilliant Common App essay, it’s rejuvenating to waste a few minutes just scrolling down the news feed, scanning for any eye-catching posts.

While some may argue that Instagram is the new “it place” for photos originally intended for Facebook, that’s not what the app was intended for. Some computer whiz in Silicon Valley did not create all those cool, artsy effects that users can put on photos so you could make your selfies look more appealing. News flash: they’re still selfies, not art, and it’s annoying.

Instagram is supposed to be a place where people can find the beauty in objects around them and create inspiring, complex looking, interesting pictures with a few taps to the screen. There’s nothing more irritating than wanting to take a dive into culture and art through Instagram and intstead being bombarded with pictures of people smiling for the camera at some random event. So save those prof-pic shots for Facebook, where they belong.

Another admirable aspect of Facebook is its ability to foster collaboration. If you’re stuck on a homework problem, chances are one of your friends is online and ready to help. Or maybe you’re lucky enough to have a group for your class to enlist some assistance from.

These groups also become incredibly useful with community outreach or awareness projects. In just two days, a group promoting awareness for a missing Cal Poly student from the Lamorinda area grew to over 40,000 members, all actively posting and participating in the cause. This kind of fast-paced awareness is something only the Facebook environment can create.

Mainly, Facebook is like a park with everyone you could ever want to talk to or interact with. You can go chat with friends, procrastinate, or even stalk others. And while some people might think that the social networking sight is passé, Facebook is still a relevant, entertaining, helpful and very cool place to be.