Is Trick – Or – Treating Still Cool? – Pro

A. Pietrykowski

Bailey Smith, Staff Writer

Halloween has been and still is one of my favorite holidays. It’s a special night filled with candy and costumes, and it’s the one night that we can stay out late on a school night without being harassed by our parents. Who wouldn’t want to take advantage of that?

The point of Halloween is to dress up and eat candy. You could just purchase candy at a local supermarket, but where’s the fun in that? The most suitable option on Halloween for obtaining candy is of course, by trick-or-treating.

In elementary school, we trick-or-treated with our parents in our neighborhoods. In middle school, we discovered that there was a whole new world of trick-or-treating that we had not yet been exposed to. We were finally free to trick-or-treat without the careful supervision of our parents, and have an exciting night out with our friends.

Throughout middle school and now in high school, the Sleepy Hollow residential area, “The Downs,” has definitely been the place to go. All of the friendly residents of this neighborhood are known for giving out large amounts of candy, which makes trick-or-treating in this neighborhood very desirable.

The origin of trick-or-treating is tied in with the history of Halloween. Halloween began with the ancient Celtic festival, Samhain, to celebrate the end of their harvest season. Its purpose was to obtain enough supplies to sustain them through the winter.  For American children, Halloween is the time to gather enough candy to last them through the harsh winter.

Dressing up is half the fun of Halloween, and this tradition isn’t lost on teenagers. Teenagers have been dubbed with the stereotype of wearing “inappropriate” costumes, but this isn’t always true.

Teenagers can and should get very creative with their costumes. One student who attends Berkeley High School took the children’s song, “One Eyed, One Horned, Flying, Purple People Eater” and turned it into an outrageous costume.  Just think of the enjoyment that creative high school trick-or-treaters can bring to their neighbors with costumes like this.

In ancient times, costumes were worn to either ward off spirits or to appease them.  Now, costumes are worn for many reasons. Maybe you want to dress up as your favorite movie character, or just want to be someone else for a day.

Trick or treating began in the United States in October 1947. Children’s magazines and popular network radio programs featured Halloween editions. The custom of trick-or-treating was officially established in 1952. Walt Disney’s cartoon Trick or Treat depicted the fun of trick-or-treating, which led to a soaring number of trick-or-treaters throughout the nation.

You’re never too old to go trick-or-treating. Some may think that high schoolers are above the appropriate age, but they’re wrong. We only have so many years left of trick-or-treating ahead of us. No one spends his or her Halloween night indoors. So go out and trick-or-treat!