Is the Lie of Santa Claus a Good Idea?

Rashaun Rucker / MCT Campus

Keeping secrets isn’t always a bad thing!

Meghan Rogers, Staff Writer

No time is more important in childhood than the winter holidays of December. Christmas lists are thought of months in advance and sent as soon as possible to the North Pole. Although the idea that you may be receiving your most desired toys is great, more of the holiday excitement is rooted in the iconic Santa Claus. At least once in their lives, children eagerly stayed up past their bedtime to sneak a peek at the jolly old man they believed in, but never actually saw. However, this is a fundamental and necessary element of the holidays. Although telling kids that Santa exists is a form of a lie, it is not malicious or wrong. Telling children that Santa exists is important because without it children would not learn many important lessons.

If Santa Claus were not a shared belief, children would know their parents were the ones giving gifts. This might promote appreciative feelings towards parents, but altogether defeats the true lesson behind the large man in red.

Santa is not a symbol of gift manufacturing or wish-granting. Rather, he represents the family elements that tie us all. Parents tell their kids he exists not because they’re trying to lie to their children, but to prolong their innocence and childhood. When kids stop believing in Santa, it marks a maturity footnote in their life.

As they mature and realize Santa doesn’t exist, it becomes a strict rule not to tell the younger kids the truth. Their new job as older kids is to keep the younger kids believing as long as they can, allowing them to mature on their own without outside influence. When they become parents themselves, they will remember the fond memories they had of Santa and pass it on to their children. This is the unspoken cycle of Christmas.

“In my house we’re not allowed to talk about Christmas gifts or anything like that in front of my little brothers,” sophomore Robert Morrison said. “I always go into a separate room with my parents when we talk about it.”

Seeing is not always believing. Santa teaches us responsibility, faith, and encourages curiosity. These are all lessons that will be often tested in adulthood. Although telling children that Santa exists is a bit of a lie, it is harmless and beneficial to their childhood.