Anxiety Over College Hits Junior Class

Anxiety Over College Hits Junior Class

Maddie O'Shea

Bailey Smith & Hank Larsen, Staff Writers

Junior year is notoriously the hardest year of high school. With AP classes and constant SAT prep, junior year definitely isn’t easy. But are we ready to start thinking about college?

Many juniors have very packed schedules this year. The majority of us have extracurriculars, volunteer work and jobs occupying much of our time. And let’s not forget about our mountainous amount of homework. With all of that, it’s hard to even imagine an added stress. Yet somehow, we have to find room in our brains to think about the ultimate worry: college.

Lately, we juniors have been bombarded with constant questions about our future: What colleges are you applying to? Do you know what you want to major in? Have you thought about possible career paths?

For most of us, the answer to all of these questions is still “I don’t know!” For those lucky individuals that have their entire futures planned out, we applaud you. As for the rest of us, we’re still figuring out what we’re doing this Friday night.

We should keep in mind that we still have a l`ot of time left before we leave high school. What’s the point of letting our teenage years slip through our fingers by letting thoughts about the future ruin the present? Although being a teenager is stressful in and of itself, it’s an important rite of passage that should be enjoyed.

We like to think of ourselves as high and mighty upperclassmen, but we are still just kids. For a lot of us, thinking about what we’re going to do when we’re adults is scary.
“Looking at colleges is one of the most stressful things I’ve ever had to do. It’s like picking out jeans; you have to pick the ones that you think will fit the best,” junior Mali Tehaney said. “There are so many colleges out there. The stressful part isn’t whether or not you’ll get into college, it’s trying to find the right one.”

Waiting for acceptance letters is the easy part. The hard part is everything that comes before.

“It’s pretty crazy how close we are,” junior Will Lake said. “Going on a bunch of college tours made it real for me and it makes my head spin.”

Although it seems like the days are flying by and we’ll be in college before we know it, it’s important to remember that we can still make the most of the time we have left here. It’s safe to say we should try and put college out of our mind for as long as we can.

“I haven’t thought about college at all,” junior Saane Halaholo said. “I’ll decide what I’m majoring in after I get into college.”

So, parents, teachers and even fellow classmates, it’s time to stop with the questions. No, we don’t know what we’re going to be when we grow up. When we know, we’ll be happy to share it with you. But for right now, we just want to enjoy the present.