Problems in Syria Raise Questions About the Appropriate Aid

Problems+in+Syria+Raise+Questions+About+the+Appropriate+Aid++

Liz Berndt, Editor-in-Chief

Since 2011 when the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad of Syria began, more than 1.4 million people have been displaced, many fleeing the country. Of the refugees, 55 percent are under the age of 18.

Many of these refugees live in huge camps, plagued with malnutrition, depression and abuse. Food is scarce and rations are strictly enforced, causing violence and an unfair advantage for those who are strong.

Children have formed gangs and lost all hope for the future. Charity groups, such as Save the Children, providing food, medical care and education for children, fear that this will become the “lost generation” if conditions do not improve, students do not start attending school and mainly if hope is not restored.

The question of non-lethal aid, meaning food and medical supplies for the displaced, seems clear. These children are destitute and need help, therefore we, as Americans, should respond with aid. According to the New York Times, as of right now the US has given $510 million in aid to these refugees and will hopefully continue do so as the fighting continues.

Right now, US government officials are attempting to bring the civil war to an end with a peaceful government transition. However, if the Assad regime does not hand over power and the Russians decide to give them weapons, ruining all chance of negotiation, the US government should respond.

The United States should take Assad out with a drone. Although some may argue that this could potentially harm innocent civilians, it would be nothing in comparison to the thousands of innocent people dying every month due to the ongoing fighting.

A drone would prevent any American soldiers’ lives from being lost and could potentially solve the problem in minutes. Assad isn’t a good guy. He’s not looking out for the people, especially the children, in his country. Eliminating him would do nothing but good for Syria.

The civil war will not end until Assad is taken from power; Assad may not step down and in that case, he should be forcibly removed.