Homecoming Royalty: A Privilege for Upperclassmen

Rebecca Gluck, Staff Writer

This year, leadership decided to modify the custom of homecoming royalty. Instead of reserving homecoming king and queen nominations for upperclassmen, the tradition was expanded to include lowerclassmen, which may not be such a good idea.

Juniors and seniors are more mature than freshmen and sophomores. By the final year of high school, social groups have become integrated and popularity is less of a priority. “Students are less cliquey in their junior and senior years, making the nominations less of a popularity contest and more of a genuine and thoughtful election of queen and king and prince and princess who feel privileged to be nominated,” senior Dioselyn Cruz said.

Upperclassmen are also better acquainted with the students in their grades. Some seniors have gone to school together for 13 years, with four of those years being high school, a time when many students have figured out what type of person they will go on to be. Freshmen and sophomores are still discovering a lot about themselves, so the votes for homecoming royalty may not reflect who people would really want to win.

When homecoming nominations are solely for upperclassmen, it gives the lowerclassmen something special to look forward to in the coming years. Junior and senior years are undoubtedly stressful, and homecoming royalty serves as a reward to the stressed out students.

This modification would also lessen the chances to win homecoming royalty in later years if students won when they were freshmen or sophomores.

If all grades participate in homecoming royalty, it would only seem right to expand other upper class privileges to all grades. It wouldn’t be fair to include all grades in homecoming nominations but only have special events such as extra dances for upperclassmen.

This is the first year in a long time since leadership decided to include all grades in homecoming royalty, something that is traditionally done at most schools. Next year’s leadership class will determine whether or not they will continue this new approach in the years to come.