Drivers Believe That Ivy Drive Needs Repaving

Rebecca Gluck, Staff Writer

It’s been too long since Ivy Drive, one of the primary and most traveled roads in Orinda, was last paved. If the city waits much longer, there could be consequences.
Every day, hundreds of cars bump in and out of the potholes that cover Ivy Drive. Not only are the potholes a nuisance to drive over, but they can be potentially dangerous. Some drivers swerve around potholes and risk hitting pedestrians or cars driving in the opposite direction.
Potholes cause premature damage to tires, wear out a car’s shock absorber, and can interfere with a vehicle’s alignment. A road that carries so much school traffic should not be in such a hazardous condition.
Many students are already tired and irritable in the morning, and for the ones that use Ivy Drive, the uncomfortable drive to school only worsens their mood. In addition, drivers must drive slower when commuting on Ivy Drive, which slows down traffic and can make students tardy for school.
Recently a part of Camino Sobrante and several other side roads were re-paved. Although it may be cheaper to restore shorter roads, Ivy Drive is so heavily used that the cost of paving it would be a bigger payoff.
Aesthetically, the condition of Ivy Drive is unpleasant to look at and detracts from Orindans’ quality of life because of its unseemliness. From an economic perspective, its unsightliness could potentially decrease property value, which in turn could lower tax revenue for the county.
Orinda is currently trying to get a grant to pave the northern portion of the road, which extends from Moraga Way to Risa Court. It would take about a week to repave this area, and cost around $500,000. The time and money that would go into this project would be well worth the result.
It’s been at least 28 years since Ivy Drive was last repaved. Ideally, roads should be repaved every 10-15 years, and even more frequently for ones that are heavily used. Ivy Drive is clearly overdue for an update. The quality of the street will only worsen if the city waits longer to do so.