Parents Shouldn’t be Too Involved in Student’s Grades

Libby Dunne, Staff Writer

Many parents get overly concerned with their child’s grades, thinking that this will make their student strive to do better in school. Though this can be helpful, too much parent involvement can instead harm the student’s grades.
When parents get too worried about their child’s grades, it puts even more stress on the student to do well in school, which can have a negative effect.
The recent addition of Schoolloop has made it easier for parents to know their child’s grades all the time. Miramonte parents get an email every time their child’s grades are updated, which in some cases could be everyday. This new technology has allowed parents to constantly see their child’s grades, and Miramonte students have definitely noticed the extra attention to their grades.
“Because my dad gets updates about my grades, he can see them all the time,” senior Daniel Baum said. “Sometimes, my grade is skewed because there is only one test in the grade book, and my dad will make me study extra to get my grade up as fast as possible.”
Miramonte’s students are already greatly concerned about excelling in school and getting into prestigious colleges, and adding the parental push to do well on top of that makes it much harder for the student to do their best.  Instead, it just puts more pressure on the student.
Many people in our community are encouraging students to do well in school: counselors, teachers, colleges, the student themselves, even fellow classmates. Miramonte students don’t need ANOTHER person to please with good grades.
“When my parents were really involved with my grades, it made me stressed out, and did not make improving my grades any easier while my parents were worrying about it so much,” senior Annie Larson said.
Sometimes, when a parent is involved in their child’s grades, it is helpful, but only for a little while to get the student in a pattern of studying for tests and doing all their homework. After a while, the student is used to studying and the parent doesn’t have to keep reminding their child to study and complete their assigned homework.
It is understandable that parents want their child to do well in school, but a student can’t do any better than their best. When a parent is putting pressure on a student to exceed their best, it just adds stress, and makes it so that the student won’t do as well as they can because they are too focused on pleasing their parents. As long as the student is trying his/her best, then the parents shouldn’t worry too much about grades.
“It can be good sometimes that my dad is involved with my grades, because he can help me study for a test that I have coming up that he sees I need to do well on to maintain a certain grade,” Baum said.
It may help at the time to have a parent helping their child study, but later in life, the student won’t have their parents around to remind and help them to study for tests. This can harm the learning process because the student won’t be prepared for college and/or future jobs because they will be overly reliant on their parents to help them with everything.
Extensive parental pressure forces students to spend all their time on academics, and leaves them no time for extracurricular activities and sports. For some students, sports can help them to focus or give them a much needed break from studying. Also, a sport that someone is really good at may help them get into a good collage, or help them with future careers. This added academic pressure from parents only gives the student one pathway for their future, and can make high school much harder and less enjoyable than it should be.