Too Old for Halloween?

Ari Stein, Staff Writer

You are never too old to do something you enjoy, and Halloween should be no exception. If you want to dress up in a crazy costume, get free candy, and spend the night with friends doing something other than school work, go for it.

Although we may be high schoolers, we still look forward to trick-or-treating and celebrating the eerie holiday.

When Halloween approaches, you still hear conversations about what everyone is dressing up as. Costumes may be taken a little less seriously than back when we were in kindergarten, but the excitement leading up to it is still the same.

Halloween does not have to mean going door to door screaming “trick-or-treat,” and trying to collect as much candy as possible, but we can still enjoy it.

Who wouldn’t want to take advantage of staying up late with friends on a school night without being harassed by parents?

Adults constantly complain about children growing up too fast, so why not hold on to this childhood tradition as long as possible? Childhood isn’t forever, and in the end, these Halloween nights will just be good memories.

Teenagers’ lives often revolve around school. Everyday you hear students talking about how much work they have to do, how busy they are, what tests are coming up, and how stressed they are. Halloween is a night that allows us to forget about all of that and just have fun.

The stereotype of teenagers is that they dress in inappropriate costumes, but that is not always the case. Plenty of teenagers use Halloween to show off their creativity by wearing unique costumes such as gems like the Jellyfish, or Pacman.

Trick-or-treating stems from the history of Halloween. In one story, it began with Samhain, an ancient Celtic festival.  The Celts believed that the dead returned to Earth on Samhain. They would light bonfires, offer sacrifices, and pay respect to the deceased. To celebrate, Samhain villagers would disguise themselves in animal skin costumes to get rid of phantoms, and offerings were prepared and left out.

In later centuries, people began dressing as ghosts, demons, etc, and performing in exchange of food and drink. Samhain has evolved through the years and is now the Halloween we are familiar with.