The New Year Starts When You Decide, Not The Calender

Sommar Veverka, Staff Writer

The start of a new year gives us an excuse to re-invent ourselves and  attempt to achieve new goals. Expectations for the new year usually consist of the normal desires of good health, love and positive change. Once the clock hits twelve on December 31, it’s a new year, a new day, and a fresh start for all.  But for me,  this new year is a little empty. Instead,  it’s just a pain in the butt because the hardest part of the calendar is remembering to change the year on my school papers.

Many students believe the beginning of the school year in the fall as the start of their personal new year. Every new school year is a fresh beginning as we are defined by what grade we are starting and hopefully finishing. Only the school year ends in a different calendar year than the one in which it begins. Some students take summer break literally. It is  as a true break from the pressures of school. Consequently, it’s the time that allow us to sit around and let your brain rot in front of the TV. In fact, to me, the start of a new school year is exciting. The anticipation of Friday night football games, a new class schedule, and the opportunity to see long lost faces again.  Even though everyone talks about how they dread going back to school, it’s a coverup or denial that school is around the corner. Many students actually look forward to the new school year because it is a fresh start. And for the first few weeks,  it’s fun to be back. It’s also a nice change from doing nothing and sitting on the couch scarfing down ice cream on a daily basis.  Most students think of the start of the new school year as the beginning of their personal new year. Something adults no longer have as an option.

The calendar new year is more purposeful for adults than for we teenagers. While our lives as teenagers are constantly changing and full of uncertainty, adults live a more stable and consistent life. Therefore, the new calendar year gives adults an excuse to change make positive changes in their lives by making new year’s resolutions. Many adults really do  keep most of their resolutions for the new year because they are willing to change, and they have the resolution to see it through because they are more mature and methodical. For example, January is the logical time for adults to lose weight after the holidays.Whether it’s weight loss or trying to make more family time, they often succeed. In contrast, August is the logical time for students to prepare for new beginnings, such as improving study habits, getting better grades or change in general. August is our January.

The beginning of the new year is a time for celebration of the past and expectation of the future, regardless of when your personal new year begins. Whether it’s August or January,  the beginning of your personal new year is the true new year.