Con: Should 18-Year-Olds Sign Themselves Out?

Elizabeth Chenok, Managing Editor

Senior year comes with many perks: the Senior Lawn, knowing the school inside-out, and the “royalty” title. It also comes with the beloved senioritis, classified on Urban Dictionary as “noun. A crippling disease that strikes high school seniors. Symptoms include: laziness, a lack of studying, repeated absences, and a generally dismissive attitude. The only known cure is a phenomenon known as graduation.” Senioritis takes reign on many students, and as the day creeps on it is tempting to want to sign out of school and ditch.
At Miramonte, when students turn 18, if they have parental permission, they can sign themselves out. This is not only detrimental to the students education and safety, but they also miss out on the last moments of high school they will never get back.
According to Vice Principal Jan Carlson, when a student signs themselves out of school after they are 18, there is no guarantee of where they are going. “If mom calls and wants to know where her child is, I can’t tell her where they are like I could if the parent had called them out for an appointment,” Carlson said. This presents a safety issue to students.
If a student signs out and doesn’t tell their parents where they are and/or lies, in cases of emergency it could be seriously dangerous. “Trust between the parent and child is the most important thing,” Carlson said.
Although it is second semester and student motivation may be lower than usual, teachers motivation is not; there is still curriculum to teach. Classes like Gov/Econ have switched at the semester, and to graduate, a student needs to pass this class. Credits are needed, and skipping school whenever the student wants can not only damage their grades, it can put them behind on all their piling schoolwork. Miramonte prides itself with excellent scores and students with high motivation. Setting an example to the underclassmen, as well as each other, is important. As tempting as leaving campus may sound, there is partnerwork and lectures that cannot be made up resulting in  lost knowledge.
Teachers at Miramonte dedicate their time and energy working, coming up with new lessons, and grading our work. Teachers give their time, students should mirror that.
As sentimental as it sounds, there are only three months left in the school year. The last three months of our high school careers. Though the prospect of the future is exciting, many students recount their senior year as special; “I find myself thinking back to senior year and just wanting to graduate, but I honestly had so much fun! Knowing everyone in your classes is something you will almost never get again, and I miss that,”  Miramonte alum and University of Puget Sound freshman Ariel Ziegler said. “[I’ve] been reflecting on how amazing it was and how quickly it went by.” Similarly to Ziegler, according to Carlson, a common thread from alum visiting is “why was I in such a rush to leave?” The education presented at Miramonte is top notch and the small classes, great teachers, and common community is fleeting. Students should only leave school if they have an appointment to go to or are sick, for these are our lasting moments, and missing them now will come around later as a regret.