Declare Your College Major Undeclared

Elizabeth Chenok, Managing Editor

As senior students, you are 17 (or maybe 18) years old, and have the future ahead. Most live at home, aren’t allowed to drink alcohol legally, vote, get piercings without parental permission, or participate in 18+ activities like skydiving and bungee jumping without parental permission. However, some universities expect these students to be able to choose their major,  unfolding their path for their future. Making this decision so early on is not wise. It would be more beneficial to students’ future career to declare their major after they have arrived.
Senior Elise Goetzl is entering college without an idea of what she wants to study. “College is where you take classes to figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life, not high school,” Goetzl said. “I want to figure what I want after I have taken classes at the actual college and seen the departments’ strengths and professors so I am certain it’s the field I want to be in.”
At Miramonte, students have access to only certain classes; specialized fields are not offered, so how can a student know what they are interested in before they have taken the class? Colleges offer a plethora of majors and classes. If a student goes to a school with declared major, he or she will miss out on an opportunity to discover another passion.
“I went into college thinking that I wanted to study neuroscience but didn’t let that strongly impact the classes I took my first year. I ended up taking a bunch of different things, like Spanish, photography and some basic biology courses. This confirmed my interest in neuroscience,” Miramonte alum and Smith College junior Melissa Chenok said. “I let that guide me but I still approach college as a way to explore educational interests and learn new things.”
Education is a meshed interlocking of different tools and skills that build off of one another. At first glance mathematics and English may not seem to go hand in hand but, in reality, both of these skills are needed in the workplace. If someone is an engineer, he or she will be expected to write reports. Being able to build on these skills in classes during the first few years of college will help them build a solid foundation for their futures.
Senior Emma Patton plans on studying biology in college next year, however she agrees that getting a wholistic education is important: “I know what I want to do and pursue in my life, and I think it’s still important to get a well rounded education and be competent in all areas of education,” Patton said. “Though biology is important, I don’t want to only take classes in that field.”
“I’ve found that by being interdisciplinary I’ve learned a lot more and stayed interested in a broad field of knowledge and am still taking classes that are not part of my major,” Chenok said. Students who explore other classes can continue to find passions and joys regardless of their major.
We are young. We have our lives ahead of us to figure out what we want to do. Why decide now? There are endless opportunities coming at us, and choosing your major takes options, unique classes, and growth away from students.