Pro: Should 18-Year-Olds Sign Themselves Out?

Kate Laughton, Business Manager

Turning 18 is the first step down the road to adulthood.

An 18-year-old can buy lottery tickets and cigarettes, vote, sign off as their own legal guardian, and even refuse medical care after going down a ski patrol toboggan. At Miramonte, a parent must call and sign-out their child even if they are 18, unless said parent has met with the attendence office. Why is this rule in place? If an 18-year-old is legally allowed to sign off as their own legal guardian, it shouldn’t be necessary for a parent to do so for them.

Under the current system at Miramonte, an 18-year-old must meet with the administration and their parents if they want to be able to sign out of school by themselves. They also must have a good academic and disciplinary record.

By the age of 18, students should have a sense of self-discipline and should be able to make the decision of whether they need to sign out of school or not. Most will have the responsibility of either going on to college or getting a real job the next year and will need to decide themselves whether they want to go to class or show up for their job each day.

As senior year is coming to an end, students should decide how they want to spend their time. If a student wants to sign themselves out for lunch everyday and get away from the questionable cafeteria food let them do it!

“I think this system is really good because once you’re older you make your own appointments, have your own transportation, and have very little parent involvement,” senior Elise Goetzl said. “It’s the 18-year-olds job to take care of that, and that includes signing out of school by themselves.”

In addition, most parents either hold jobs, volunteer, or participate in recreational sports during the day. Because of these obligations, they may not be able to pick up the phone right away if there is an emergency.

“If I’m feeling sick and need to go home immediately I can’t always count on my mom to pick up the phone when I need her to call the office,” senior Mica Zimmerman said.

Other parents find it irritating to have to call their students out when they are fully capable of doing it themselves.

“It’s really inconvenient for my parents to have to call and leave a message for the attendance office to sign me out when I could just walk a few feet and do it myself,” senior Kady Richardson said.

Peggy Dillon, senior Abby Brzezinski’s mom, believes that students should be able to sign out on their own.

“At 18, students are adults. They can join the army, and parents can no longer get academic or medical information without their consent. I would hope that if they can handle the responsibility of voting for our President, they can make good choices,” Dillon said.

Being able to sign out on their own gives students the responsibility they need right before they go to college. To insure that students don’t abuse their privilege, there could be a limit of sign outs per semester to ensure that students don’t sign out whenever they feel like it.