Students Shouldn’t Feel Uncomfortable Talking About College

Bailey Smith, Staff Writer

As March comes to a close and we roll into April, seniors are hearing back from their last few colleges and making their final decisions. For some, it’s an easy decision – they’ve been accepted into their dream school and that’s where they’re going. For others, they’re going to have to make a list of pros and cons for each college they’ve been accepted to in order to make their choice.

Choosing where you’re going to spend the next four years of your life isn’t an easy thing for many people. You should be able to talk about your acceptances, your rejections, your aspirations, your doubts and your fears with your friends and family.

Unfortunately, some people let their rejection letters bring them down. Of course, it’s natural to feel sad when a college does not accept you – but it’s important to keep in mind that if you weren’t accepted into a school, you need to maintain the idea that “it wasn’t meant to be.”

No one should feel embarrassed to talk about their futures with their friends. It’s not necessary to feel inferior to a friend who got accepted into a college you were rejected from. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses and maybe a friend has the strengths a college is looking for. That doesn’t mean that you aren’t smart or that you’re less of an individual than your friends. Odds are, you’ll get into a few schools they were rejected from.

People get into the college they’re meant to go to – it’s cliche, but everything does happen for a reason. Think about your parents, did they meet in college? If they did, think about what would have happened if they’d gone somewhere else and never met – you wouldn’t be here.

If you get rejected from a school, it’s because the people you’re supposed to meet aren’t going there and that’s nothing to be ashamed of. We’ve all been doing the best we can during our teenage years. We’ve been under pressure throughout our entire high school experience, especially at this school and in this town.

We’re constantly bombarded with talk of students with perfect report cards or getting into those great colleges. A lot of us feel we need to live up to the “standard” of teenagers in this town. But at this point in our lives, it’s time to shed the misconception that if you don’t get into a prestigious school, you’re mediocre. Because that just isn’t true.

It’s all the hype right now to talk about the best schools and maybe feel a little smug if you’re going to a “good” school. But this time next year, the majority of us will be in college and it won’t matter which one. We’ll come to realize that every school is a good school; a college education is a college education. Sure, some school are better known than others – but that doesn’t mean that those other schools aren’t great. Because they are.

We’re all going to start a new chapter next year, be it in college or elsewhere – and wherever we decide to go, we should feel proud of our decision. It’s a decision no one else should make for you and a decision that no one can take away from you.

So don’t feel discouraged to tell your friends you’ve been rejected from a school. Hold your head high and remember that you’ll get in somewhere else – somewhere you’ll be happier if you give yourself the opportunity to see things from a different light.

And on the other side of the spectrum, there are people who worry they’re being insensitive when they’re talking about acceptance letters – and this isn’t fair. Seniors shouldn’t feel like they’re bragging when they’re talking about their acceptances. You should be proud of your accomplishments and your friends should welcome the news.

No one should be made to feel they shouldn’t talk about their acceptances or denials.  Everything is going to fall into place one way or another. We’re all going through a huge transition period and this is the time to be building each other up, not tearing each other down.

We should be working hard to make everyone feel comfortable and secure in talking about their futures – because no one path is better than another as long as it’s a decision that’s personally fulfilling. If you’re happy with your future plans – than that is all that matters.