Morning Practice Offers Negative Consequences

Back to Article
Back to Article

L. Dunne

L. Dunne

L. Dunne

Libby Dunne, Staff Writer

The Miramonte swim team requires swimmers to attend morning practice once a week for both JV and Varsity. Practice starts at 5:15 a.m., requiring swimmers to wake up hours before they normally do for school.

Even though morning practice is required, many swimmers don’t attend, in hopes of getting a few more hours of sleep. Those students who do attend morning practice are losing at least two hours of vital sleep, and attending two swim practices that day.

“It’s hard to get up at 5:00 in the morning and get in the pool, but it’s also very rewarding after it’s over,” junior Elise Anthenien said.

Waking up early for morning practice makes swimmers tired for the rest of the day. Many swimmers are exhausted during class, and therefore are not learning the material very well.

Occasionally, there is a morning practice on the day of a swim meet. Normally, it is best to rest the day of a race, but morning practice makes swimmers tired, and may not swim their fastest at the meet later that day.

The Miramonte track team is now having morning practice twice a week. Unlike swimming’s practice, track morning practice is optional. Despite not being required, about 20 people go to each practice. “It is good because you get extra fitness, but it’s bad because it disrupts sleep which is important for running in general, and for our academic performance,” junior track team member Natalie Adey said.

Morning sports practices distract students from their studies. Not only are they tired and unfocused during school, but they are tired while doing their homework, and therefore, may not complete everything they need to get done.