Testing During APs Harms Students

Testing During APs Harms Students

Photo: http://www.teachthought.com/

Libby Dunne, Managing Editor

As May comes around, all students can think about is summer. Unfortunately, AP testing dominates the first two weeks of this otherwise wonderful spring month. AP tests are stressful, as they are like a final. To add to the pressure, many non-AP classes have tests during these weeks. Not only does this add to the stress of AP students, but many students are absent, because they are either taking the test, or studying for future AP tests. Teachers should not have tests during the two weeks of AP testing.

During these two weeks, AP students’ top priority is to study for AP tests and do the best they can. Along with the increase in nightly homework, studying for APs leaves students with only a short amount of time to study for tests in other classes. This could easily cause student’s grades to slip in other classes, all for the sake of one test. If teachers waited until after AP testing to give their tests, students would have more time to study, and be more prepared for the test.

AP tests are three and a half hours long (which is about five hours including instructions and sign-in) and require students to miss either their pre-lunch or post-lunch classes. Missing tests in these classes puts more pressure on AP students to arrange a make up time and study for it just after completing their AP test.

“In English, we were assigned to read a book during AP tests with a quiz. It was really stressful and distracted me from my AP studying. I also missed the quiz because I was taking my AP test, and had to arrange a time to make it up,” a student said. This is just one of many examples in which students had to deal with tests and quizzes during AP testing.