Trump Rallies Spread Nationwide

Peter Stehr, Sports Editor

From Philadelphia, to Denver, to Los Angeles, and even to our own backyard in Oakland, the result of the national election caused an eruption of protests nationwide earlier this month. Millions of agitators exercised their First Amendment rights and came together to express their strong opinions on the policies and actions of Donald Trump during his presidential campaign. Many questions have risen as to the future of our country under a highly unorthodox politician: Why was there so much discontent over a fairly elected president? Is the electoral college outdated? And will there be further disunity in our country?

Although Hillary Clinton did win the popular election by over 3 million votes, over 62.5 million Americans voted for Trump. With such a large portion of our country’s population supporting Trump, how was there so much discontent nationwide? The answer may be simpler than expected. With a radically new type of president in office, there will undoubtedly be unrest in those who disagree with his policies, which is a pretty large club.

In addition, because Hillary numerically received more popular votes than Trump, many have argued about the strength of the electoral system over popular opinion. This phenomena has only happened 3 times in our country’s history, most recently in 2000 with the election of George W. Bush. However, the US is not a direct democracy. Our founding fathers prided themselves in the fact that the masses could not directly control the future of our country, and therefore established the electoral college in 1787. So, there should not be issue over this ‘flawed system’ as many have come to claim this past election.

The election of 2016 and the years preceding it witnessed a stark polarization within the nation’s politics. Republicans and Democrats seemingly can not agree, and even had completely opposite viewpoint on many issues. Having leaders with such ignorant opinions can have serious consequences. For example, because the viewpoint of many conservatives have on climate change, it is hard to organize a political and economic response to the problems facing our planet’s future with the government’s consensus split in half. With Trump’s election, as well as a Republican majority in Congress, the trends of polarization will undoubtedly continue. Now, Democratic policies will be extremely difficult to implement with a tight republican grip on the nation’s three branches of government.