Softball Stays Hopeful

Lauren Stewart

Coach and teammates look on as Sarah Alford ‘13 concentrates on throwing a solid pitch.

Aleck Ryner, Sports Editor

This year, the women’s softball team is looking to improve on previous seasons. So far they haven’t seen much improvement, but they are hopeful for the future.

Their team is a little different than many of the other teams at Miramonte. They have no JV team and they also don’t have any team captains, they have one senior on the team, Alex Trujillo ‘11.  She faces a tough battle to lead the youger players who will take over next year.

Many players on the team feel that they would be a lot more competitive if they could get more underclassmen to participate.

“It would be better if a lot of freshman played this year so they could get the feel for softball throughout the next years on the team. This year we have a bunch of juniors that just started playing that won’t know enough for next year,” said Ashley Kawaguchi ‘13.

So far, the team is having a bit of a rough season. They went 1-6 out of league, with their one win coming against Hayward High, and so far they are 0-4 in league, which includes a 23-4 loss to rival Campolindo, and a 28-0 loss at  the hands of Las Lomas.

Some other key contributors are Sarah Alford ‘13, Breanna Correll ‘13, Grace Barosky ‘13, Gina Pagan ‘14 and Claire Ramer ‘14.
With six games remaining, the team still has a chance to prove their worth, but it could be an uphill battle.

They have upcoming games against Alhambra and Acalanes later in the month. The team also played against Dublin yesterday, but the score was not available at press time.