Lamorinda Soccer Takes USA Cup

Sophie Fuller ‘13 and Coco Pearce ‘13 pose with their Lamorinda soccer team after practicing with the national team in New York over the summer.

S. Leksan

Natalie Condon and Alison Pietrykowski, Staff Writer

Lamorinda United ‘94 soccer team has been playing together for almost eight years and has recently gone to some of the largest tournaments in the country, including USA Cup, Rage Showcase, and Surf Cup. After winning the USA Cup, Puma sports wear began sponsoring the team.

When Puma started sponsoring the team, they provided them with a free trip to New York for a tournament, a new Puma warm-up suit, and a $100 each at the Puma store.
Two of the key players, Sophie Fuller ‘13, and Coco Pearce ‘13 attend Miramonte High School.

After winning the USA Cup, the team got to meet some of the players from the USA Womens National Soccer Team, like Amy Rodriguez, and Alex Morgan.
They practice three days a week and play one to three games per weekend.

The captains of the team are Valerie Margerum ‘12 from Campolindo High School and Samantha Zarling ‘12 from San Ramon Valley High School.
The team has been coached by Mohammed Mohammed for the past four years after having several different coaches. Mohammed is the director of the league, but is only the head coach for United 94’ and one other team.

“One of my favorite things about playing is going to all the tournaments. The trips are so amazing,” said Rebecca Bostwick ‘13 from Acalanes High. “We all sing and dance and have the best times together. We have the best team of all time. I love everyone on it.”

“It was so amazing meeting the team. They inspire me to be great and pursue pro soccer and really continue my passion for the game,” said Claire Winter ‘13 from Acalanes High School.
“It was really fun getting to know some of the players we’ve idolized,” said Pearce.

“I had always wanted to meet Tasha Kai and it was really cool finally getting to. She’s so hilarious and such a badass.”

“Winning the USA Cup was really encouraging and it was super cool to be rewarded for all the hard work we do,” says Fuller. Fuller plays the position of fullback and joined the team two years ago. Although she is a new addition to the team, the sport of soccer is not new to her, and she hopes to play in college.

“The practices can be very hard, and we frequently have multiple games per weekend. It’s hard to balance soccer with school, but its doable, and worth it,” said Leksan.