Lamorinda Rugby Trains for Upcoming Season

Natalie Condon, Spencer Homes, Staff Writers

This season, the Lamorinda Rugby team is touring Argentina over spring break to help improve their team.

“We had a choice to go to either Italy or Argentina, but basically the whole team chose Argentina because it seems a lot more fun and exciting than Italy,” said Douglas McKinley ‘12.

Although not a high school sport, the team has members from Miramonte, Campolindo, and Acalanes. From Miramonte, Joey Rotticci ‘12, Eric Pawlakos ‘12, Brian Weller ‘12, Bobby Taylor ‘12, Cameron Drake ‘12, McKinley, Jamie Howells ‘13, Andrew Hocking ‘12, Luke Carrillo ‘12, and Miles Honens ‘12 participate on the team.

The captains of the team are Sam Peri ‘12 and Connor Rosenbaum ‘12 from Campolindo High School. Taylor is also the president of the team as well as one of the fly-halfs on the team.

“I definitely expect an undefeated season from the team this year. It’s our senior year for the majority of us, so we really want to do the best we can,” said Weller.
As freshmen and sophomores, their team went undefeated and won the Pacific Coast tournament.

However last year, the team did not move on to the playoffs due to a painful loss against Hayward in the last 30 seconds of the game. This year, they are looking to win the national championship.
The team has around 30 players, and they have both a gold and silver division, gold being the better of the two divisions. Key games in their season include playing Jesuit and Golden Gate. However, these games are not until later in the season.
Along with going to Argentina, the team is attending the Pac 12 tournament and a tournament in San Diego.

“Rugby is probably my favorite sport because it is really fast paced, not so much stop- and-go like football is,” said Rotticci. “Rugby requires a lot more strategy.”

This will be Rotticci’s ninth and final year on the team and he plays the position of outside center.

Playing the position of inside center, Drake has participated since sixth grade and loved every moment. Drake also plans on playing in college after he graduates high school.

“It is an aggressive sport as well as an international sport that provides a lot of opportunities for the future,” said Drake.

A number of the players went to a week-long tournament in Hawaii last year over spring break. Many of the players emphasize that it was the most fun trip of the year.

“I love the team and tournaments are always so fun for spending time with everyone, especially when we do well in them,” said Howells.