Girls’ Soccer Returns

Annie Odell, Business Manager

The varsity girls’ soccer team continues to work hard as they reach the midpoint of their season. The team beat Las Lomas 4-1 Wed. Jan. 4 . The team tied against Dublin High School 1-1 on Wed. Jan. 25 and tied against Alhambra 1-1 on Fri. Jan. 27.

After losing key forward Mackenzie Martin, the team is working hard to improve their speed in order to fill Martin’s spot.  Mali Tehaney ‘14, the team’s starting goalie, is also off the field due to a recent shoulder surgery. She will hopefully return to her spot within the next couple weeks. Until then, new varsity athlete, Maritza Grillo ‘15 has done a great job filling Tehaney’s spot. Also, midfielder Maya Sherne ‘14 was recently unable to play due to a stress fracture in her shin. Due to her injury, she will be unable to play for the rest of the season.

“Although do have a lot of players that are injured, we are still working very hard on improving our team  chemistry, spirit, and optimism,” said Maddy Cuyler ‘12.

The team also welcomed new additions to the team Margot Odell ‘14, Courtney Attard ‘14, Kristin Chan ‘14, Kiley Gordon ‘14, and Maritza Grillo ‘14. Natalie Vigo ‘14 was recently moved up to her varsity spot.

Captains Tasia Robbins ‘12, Katherine Fearing ‘12, Coco Pearce ‘13, and Sophie Fuller ‘13 along with head coaches Akeem Rashidi and Mohammad Mohammad lead the girls in practice Monday through Friday.
On Friday, Feb. 3, the team plays Las Lomas at 6:15 p.m. at home. On Friday, Feb. 10, the team plays Campolindo at 6:15 p.m. at home.