Tennis Starts Strong

Reese Levine, Staff Writer

After a 2011 season that saw the Miramonte men’s tennis team make it into the quarterfinals at NCS and have individual athletes go even further, many members return in 2012 hoping to do even better.

Although the team lost key teammates such as Andrew Pises ‘11 and Brian Tan ‘11 to graduation, new team captains Trevor Rechnitz ‘12 and Michael Krakaris ‘12 will now guide the team.

“I’m really excited to be able to help out younger players and hopefully help us do well,” Krakaris said.

While many of the athletes play year round, the team recently started regular after-school practices every day except Friday, which is an optional practice.

The team has started out the year strongly, going undefeated in the first nine matches.

On Feb. 21, they started the season by beating Mission San Jose at home, 6-3. This was followed by a 7-2 win away at Amador Valley.

The next week, the team played back to back away matches, against Freedom High School on Feb. 27 and San Ramon Valley on Feb. 28. These were also wins, with scores of 9-0 and 7-2 respectively.

“San Ramon Valley is really good, so winning against them was crazy,” Devin Stein ‘13 said.

Beating other schools individually is not the only place Miramonte has succeeded in early season play. On March 1 and March 2, the varsity team made the trek down to James Logan High School in Union City for the James Logan Invitational. In a full tournament with eight teams, Miramonte ended up taking overall honors, beating Campo in the finals 6-1.

“We didn’t really go into this expecting to win,” Luke Bohuslov ‘13 said. “But even though it’s unexpected, doing this well is a huge plus.”

This week, Miramonte opened up league play with a match against Dublin on March 6, destroying them 9-0. They also played another league opponent, Alhambra, on March 8, but that result was not available as of press time.

More DFAL matches will continue in the coming month, while the first Campolindo match will take place on March 22.

Ultimately, Miramonte tennis will be building up for NCS competition, which will take place in early to mid-May. The team has reached the quarterfinals for the past two years, and this year Krakaris is positive they can do even better.

“We came so close against Piedmont last year,” Andrew Tan ‘13 said. “I think that with our strength this year, nothing is out of reach.”