Track and Field Races Into a Successful Season

I. Lee

Georgia Briskey, Staff Writer

The track and field team has worked hard since the start of pre-season in January. After losing Ashraf Mathkour ‘11, the team still hopes to have more qualifiers in the State Meet.

The team had an impressively high number of individuals go to NCS in track and field events last season and they hope to repeat the success.

Coaches Tristan Tool, Brad Albin, and Dan Shortenhaus are making changes to the new team to make them the best they can be.

“We’re not as strong in the field events as we are with the running events,” captain Jack Morris ‘13 said. “Changes are being made, and the newcomers have so much potential.”

Other captains include Micah Solit ‘12, Devon McDonald ‘12, and Adam Roeder ‘12. Having been on the track and field team every year of their Miramonte careers, their experience and previous knowledge will be key elements in leading the team.

Additionally, Ariel Thomas ‘13 was chosen to be a captain despite this being her first year on the team.

“I am really looking forward to becoming a part of such an amazing, close-knit team, and seeing the team have a great season,” Thomas said.

Before their first meet, the team practiced by scrimmaging against themselves in the annual “Green vs. White” meet on Feb. 23.

The team placed a great deal of importantance on this practice meet, and it was a casual yet successful way to start the season. The team’s first meet took place on March 2 at Skyline High School in Oakland and was an invitational against 10 other Bay Area schools. The team did really well overall and many people got 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in their events.