MHS Cheer Holds Tryouts

Mollie Swan, Staff Writer

Cheer team tryouts concluded on Friday, May 4 after an intense week of dancing, chanting, and tumbling. Tryouts were held in the small gym from April 30-May 4 from 4:00 – 5:30 p.m. Twenty-four excited contestants, mostly incoming freshmen, tried out for the Spirit Cheer squad, which performs at football and basketball games and consists of eighteen cheer leaders.

On the first day of tryouts the contestants were taught basic moves, techniques, and jumps. Throughout the week competitors we taught a dance routine and a cheer, which were later evaluated. Later, everyone tried out in pairs. Contestants were required to show off any tumbling they knew, as well as three jumps, the cheer, and the dance.

Coaches Rebecca George and Carol Herndon were hoping to find more tumblers, but were mostly looking for enthusiastic cheerleaders who truly wanted to be a part of the squad.

Four new girls made the squad. Natalie Condon ‘13, Joella Ochs ‘14, Hannah Gunn ‘16, and Jessie Musacchio  ’16 stood out as talented and passionate.  Because Ricky Samoranos ‘13 was forced to quit in the middle of the competition season due to a shoulder injury, he had to try out again last week.

The coaches will choose captains as the season progresses. Tryouts for the competition squad will be held over summer. This year, competition tryouts will not be open to those who are not already a part of the squad.