Athlete of the Issue: Jamie Fehrnstrom

Tennyson May, Former Sports Editor

You’ve probably seen him running around town after school in only short shorts. Miramonte’s crazy fast runner Jamie Fehrnstrom is the Mirador’s final Athlete of the Issue for the year.
After moving to Orinda from Sonoma freshman year, Fehrnstrom decided to give water polo a shot, thinking it would be a fun sport. After a season, he realized that he was much better suited for land. After playing a season of soccer, Fehrnstrom found his true calling: running really, really fast for a really, really long time.
During his freshman season, Fehrnstrom posted impressive times in the mile and 800 and since then he has developed into one of the premier runners in Northern California. Fehrstrom runs a 4:15 mile and a 1:15 800. However, Fehrnstrom’s best event is the 5,000, which he runs in 15 minutes and 42 seconds. To put that in perspective, imagine running a 5:14 mile… three times.
Fehrnstrom has had a lot of success during his career. This year he won the mile Tri-Valley meet, which is sort of a preliminary meet for NCS. He also won the 5k at the Clovis Invitational this year during the cross country season. His favorite athletic achievement is placing third in NCS in the mile last year.
One of the most impressive things about Fehrnstrom is the fact that prior to coming to Miramonte, he had no real experience with running competitively. He participated in soccer and baseball in Sonoma, but never did any sort of cross country running prior to his freshman year
Despite his late start to running, Fehrnstrom’s talent isn’t purely natural. Fehrnstrom spends countless hours training. During the peak of his training, Fehrnstrom runs approximately 10 miles six days a week. A good amount of his running takes place on the treacherous hills of El Toyonal.
Not only is he athletically talented, Fehrnstrom also displays leadership on his teams and excellence in the classroom. Fehrnstrom was chosen as a captain for the cross country team this year and last year and was a captain of the track team last year. Fehrnstrom also chose Princeton over Dartmouth, Duke, and Georgetown, all prestigious schools and all elite cross country programs.
When not training or in school, Fehrnstrom enjoys spending time with his friends, longboarding, and listening to music, especially Pink Floyd which he can listen to for hours.
The track and field season is almost at its end and Fehrnstrom plans on going out with a bang. His goal is to win the mile at NCS, a goal which his teammates, coaches, and friends all think is realistic.
No matter what, Fehrnstrom has defnitely left his mark on the cross country and track and field programs and will be remembered as one of the best athletes that the programs developed.
His career ends tomorrow at NCS.