Mats Prove Themselves in NCS 2012

Reese Levine, Staff Writer

Over the past few weeks and continuing through the first weekend in June, Miramonte spring sports teams are taking part in NCS competitions, hoping to bring home the coveted first place trophies.

Tennis: After a successful regular season, with only one loss to Campolindo, Miramonte Varsity tennis continued their domination with a victory at NCS over Monte Vista. Making the victory that much sweeter, they avenged their loss to Campolindo by defeating them in the semifinal round.

“Everybody thinks that tennis is basically an individual sport,” said Andrew Tan ‘13. “But I feel that our teamwork was an important part of our victory at NCS.”

The tennis team also journeyed to Sacramento to play in the CIF Northern State Finals, where they made it to the semifinals.

Golf: At the Golf Tournament of Champions, which also served as the NCS championships, the golf team went up against a tough field and came away with a solid result, with a combined score of 415. The winners, Foothill High School, finished with a score of 354.

“The course out there was really difficult,” Kevin Swimmer ‘13 said. “We came in right about where we expected, but not where we want to be. Next year we’ll come back to win and get our rings.”

Baseball: Championships for baseball have yet to take place, with games set up for the next couple weeks, leading up to the finals on June 1-2.

Lacrosse: Both boys’ and girls’ lacrosse played at home last Friday night in the first round of NCS. The girls defeated Cardinal Newman 11-6 to move on to the semifinal round against Novato. That game took place on Wednesday, May 23, after the Mirador went to press.

The boys did not have as much luck, unfortunately, falling to Novato 8-6. They will now regroup and begin to prepare for another attempt at the title next year.

Swimming: The NCS Championship meet for swimming happened last weekend, with many Miramonte swimmers placing well. Final team results saw the boys take second place, 42 points behind the winner, Campolindo. The girls placed ninth out of the 37 schools in attendance, also a strong result.

“The meet went really for us,” Charlie Wiser ‘13 said. “I think we had the strongest Miramonte squad in history.” Wiser, Albert Miao ‘13, and Tennyson May ‘12 all set team records and earned individual All-American honors. The boys 200-yard medley relay, 200-yard free relay, and 400-yard free relay all set team records and earned All-American honors. The previous boys’ 400-free relay record stood for 25 years.

Track and Field: For track and field, the Tri-Valley Area meet took place this past weekend at Granada High School in Livermore. In the overall rankings, Miramonte women placed eleventh and the men placed fifth, backed up by wins in the boys 800-meter, 1600-meter, and 3200-meter runs, as well as a second in the girls 4×400-meter relay.

“Our many hours spent practicing and all of our hard work paid off,” Tyler Hanson ‘13 said. “I’m really proud of everyone, and now some of us will move on to the Meet of Champions.”

NCS takes place today and tomorrow at UC Berkeley.