Most Memorable U.S. Olympic Moments

Cassidy Waters and Natalie Condon, Staff Writers

Depressed now that Olympic season is over? Now that you can’t spend hours on end watching your favorite athletes compete for the Gold, what is there to live for? Don’t fret! Mirador has the scoop on your favorite U.S.A. Olympic moments.

1. The Fab Five: The U.S. Women’s Gymnastics team, commonly referred to as the Fab Five (McKayla Maroney, Kyla Ross, Aly Raisman, Gabby Douglas, and Jordyn Wieber), won the gold medal in the team all around finals. Douglas also won the individual all around gold, Maroney won silver in vault, and Raisman received gold in floor exercise.

2. Missy Franklin: While other high school seniors were filling out college applications, Franklin was fulfilling her dream of participating in the London Olympics. Despite her lack of experience, the swimmer won 4 golds in her first Olympic games.

3. Men’s Swimming 4×200 Free Relay: The men’s swimming relay team consisting of Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte, Conor Dwyer, and Ricky Berens, pulled out a gold in the 4x200m free-style relay.

4. Women’s Soccer- The U.S. Women’s Soccer team beat Canada in a close semifinals. Their excitement carried on into the final round where they went on to win gold against Japan.

5. Michael Phelps: Although Phelps had an upsetting loss to his teammate Ryan Lochte in the 400 IM, he has maintained his title as the world’s best swimmer. Finishing his career with 22 medals, Phelps has become the most decorated Olympian of all time.

6. USA Basketball: A favorite going into the games, the US Olympic basketball team beat Spain for the Gold. Main players include Lebron James, Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, and Carmelo Anthony who set the scoring record in one game.

7. Women’s Track 4×100: The U.S. women’s track relay, Allyson Felix, Carmelita Jeter, Tianna Madison, and Bianca Knight, won gold in the 4x100m event. The ladies will go down in history as some of the fastest runners of all time.

8. Women’s Beach Volleyball: Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh-Jennings win their third consecutive gold medal in beach volleyball. The duo has exceeded expectations and set an incredibly high standard for future Olympians.

German Mishaps:

Although the U.S.A. dominated in this summer’s Olympic games, Germany was not as fortunate. While attempting to perform an especially difficult dive, German diver, Stephen Feck, slipped in the process and landed on his back with a splash. He received straight 0.0’s across the board. In addition, defending heavy-weight champion, Matthias Steiner, dropped a 432 pound dumbbell on his neck while trying to defend his title. Yikes!