Bay Area Baseball Heads to Playoffs

Ray Chavez/Oakland Tribune/MCT

The Oakland Athletics celebrate a 2-0 win over the Detroit Tigers in Game 3 of the American League Division Series at O.co Coliseum on Tuesday, October 9, 2012, in Oakland, California.

Matt Metheny, Staff Writer

With last night’s wins, both the A’s and the Giants are still alive in the postseason. Both teams must win all of the remaining games in order to win the series and advance.

For the first time since 2003 both the Oakland A’s and the San Francisco Giants are in the postseason. It couldn’t be more thrilling for Bay Area baseball fans as they watch their teams make their run in the playoffs. The Giants won the NL West division and clinched a spot in the playoffs on Sept. 22. They will play the Cincinnati Reds in the NLDS. The A’s won the AL West and clinched on the last game of the season in a comeback victory over the Texas Rangers. The A’s will play the Detroit Tigers in the ALDS. This is the sixth time the A’s and Giants have both made the playoffs and whether you’re an A’s or Giants fan, the postseason will be exciting.

“I have been waiting for this for a long time, I am planning on watching both teams in the playoffs, and I hope they both meet in the World Series,” sophomore Nate Lloyd said.

It has been a great baseball season for the Bay Area. Both teams this year have been exciting to watch and the best is yet to come. Students at Miramonte have been showing their excitement as they wear their A’s and Giants hats and jerseys to school. Miramonte has been buzzing with talk about the A’s and Giants. Questions that commonly pop up are who will go further? Will they meet in the World Series? Many students have been planning on attending a playoff game and/or watching them.

“I just bought tickets to all of the playoff games in Oakland. I am planning on doing whatever it takes to go, even if it means not doing my homework for a night,” Lloyd said.