Athlete of the Issue: Zati Williams

C. Waters

Cassidy Waters and Natalie Condon, Staff Writers

Balancing three varsity sports, finalizing college applications and maintaining a thriving social life is no easy feat for any normal Miramonte senior. However, Zati Williams is anything but normal. He has accomplished all of these feats and more with ease.

Athletics play a huge role in Williams’ life. His passion for football began in eighth grade when he decided to join the Orinda Intermediate School flag football team. He continued on to play on the freshman team for Miramonte. Although the team didn’t finish the season with high hopes for the future, Williams did not let the losses discourage him. He continued building upon his skills and is now an integral member of the varsity football team.

“My natural advantages over my opponents are my size and speed,” Williams said. “But after working hard, my skills with the ball improved and I became an even better player.” He compares himself to Calvin Johnson from the Detroit Lions because he is athletically superior and larger than his opponents.

Williams’ coaches and teammates motivate him to build upon and utilize his talent. His primary inspiration is his coach, Drew Bennett, who has pushed him to perfect his craft. Teammates such as Griffin Schram ‘13, Nick Sheehan ‘13 and Drew Anderson ‘14 have also supported him throughout the season.

“Griffin and Nick have both helped me so much throughout the season,” Williams said. “They really influence my mental and physical game.”

Williams hopes to continue his football career well into the future. While he has already been contacted by many colleges to play on their teams, his dream school is the University of Southern California. After college Williams’ goal is to someday play in the NFL, possibly on his favorite team, the Minnesota Vikings.

The game Williams is most proud of to date is his game against Analy High School. Although Miramonte did not come out with the win, Williams had a very impressive game. He had 12 receptions for 213 yards and scored one touchdown. This game is only a snapshot of what he has accomplished this season. The team finished the season with a 6-4 record and are going on to the NCS playoffs.

When Williams is off the field, he can be found training for his upcoming seasons of basketball and track. His love for sports also appears outside of the Matadome. In his free time, he enjoys playing videos games such as Madden, Fifa and 2k12.

Williams’ athleticism and dedication are forces which have driven him to thrive and succeed. His love for all sports is evident in everything he does. As seen through this past season, Williams has a lot to offer to the sport of football. Who knows what’s in store for him in the future.