Miramonte Prepares for Upcoming Winter Sports

Kaitlin Fenn, Drew Anderson, and Kyle Rechnitz, Staff Writers

Men’s Basketball:

The men’s 2011-2012 season ended with a loss against Sacred Heart Cathedral in the second round of CIF playoffs. With new coach Drew McDonald, they plan to build off of last year’s success and hope to achieve even loftier goals. With 11 returning players, including four starters, and lots of returning talent, the team should be strong this year, and poised for another run deep into NCS and CIF playoffs.

“Mats hoops is ready to silence a lot of critics this year. We’ve been on our grind this offseason, putting up big numbers in the weight room. We’re about to do big things this year with the help of our sixth man nation,” captain Kiran Shastri ‘13 said.

Women’s Basketball: 

The women’s team lost key players Taylor Kizziee ‘12, Devon McDonald ‘12 and Janine Loutzenhiser ‘12 to graduation last year. This season they look to captains Carly Gill ‘13, Megan Reid ‘14 and Breanna Alford ‘14 to lead them, along with three or four other returning players. After a very successful 31-2 season, with their only losses coming from the Bishop O’Dowd Dragons in the NCS and NorCal finals, the Lady Mats are looking to take the league championship title for the second year in a row and make another run at the playoffs.

“I think our chances are really good,” Allison Miller ‘14 said. “We have a lot of potential and a lot of talent on our team.”

Dougherty Valley High School was the team’s biggest league competition last season, but after losing a large number of seniors, the DVHS team will be young, and it isn’t clear as to who will be the girls’ toughest competition.

Coach Kelly Sopak wants to increase the intensity and speed of each game this season by playing even faster and more aggressively.

“We’ve had conditioning practices and open gyms to prepare for the season. Basically, we go hard in the paint,” Miller said.

Men’s Soccer: 

After finishing with a 12-13 record last season, the soccer team ended up just missing the playoffs. Although it was disappointing for the players, there is some reason for optimism this year. Last season the team got off to a good start, but due to injuries the team didn’t see the results they were looking for. However, this season is a new story. With some key returning players and a new coach, the team believes they can achieve great success.

“Even though we lost a lot of seniors the rest of the team is still strong and there are some good freshman who can help,” Kyle Visher ‘14 said.

Women’s Soccer: 

The 2011-2012 season ended with a 7-10-2 record and only three league wins over Dougherty Valley, Las Lomas and Campolindo.

“We were only a couple games off the playoffs, which was pretty disappointing. We thought we could have done better,” Megan Reid ‘14 said.

The team’s disappointment from the past season will push them to work even harder during the upcoming months. Reid predicts the strong core group of juniors and seniors will help everyone play better as an overall unit. By improving individual skills and applying them to a team setting, they hope to end with a better record and reach the postseason. As of now, it hasn’t been determined who will be the Lady Mats’ league competition, but Campolindo is always a “fun one” according to Reid.

Wrestling:

Last season the wrestling team surprised many people by having one of their best years in recent history. The team finished fifth in section and scored more points against Las Lomas than they have scored in nearly 10 years. Under the leadership of coach Jose Herrera, the team hopes to have another successful year with many good young wrestlers. This year the team is setting the bar a bit higher, as they hope to win league and have at least two top 12 wrestlers.

“We lost some good wrestlers from last year, but we also had lots of great young wrestlers that really stepped up for us. If everyone else continues to get better I think we should have a really good team this year,” Phil Hoxie ‘13 said.