Mats Hoops Defeats Concord with Second Half Momentum

Jackie Steele, Staff Writer

The men’s varsity basketball team continued their preseason play with a 68-61 win against Concord last night.  After a slow start in the first half, the Mats were able to pick up their outside shooting in the third and fourth quarters.

With new head coach Drew McDonald, practices have been “more uptempo,” according to center Kiran Shastri ‘13.

“We have been working a lot on our defense and rebounding, since we aren’t as tall as we were last year,” Shastri said.

Principal Adam Clark made sure to talk to the small but rowdy crowd of Miramonte students about respectful behavior during the game.

“It was a strong showing for a Tuesday night preseason game,” point guard Joey Goodreault ‘14 said.

In the first half, most of the points came from under the basket layups, after a slow start with outside shooting. By halftime Concord led 31-27.

After a breakaway layup from Shastri, the Mats took the lead with three minutes left in the third quarter, which helped fuel their momentum, and keep their scoring going throughout the final minutes of the game.

“We’re really happy about this win, and hope to keep up our strong play to bring us far in NCS,” Shastri said.

Shastri led the Mats with 25 points, followed by Goodreault with 19 and Drew Anderson ‘14 with 15.