Alabama Clinches Another BCS Title

MCT Campus

Eddie Lacy holds the crystal ball.

Jack Kovalik, Staff Writer

On the night of Monday, Jan. 7, the Alabama Crimson Tide trounced over the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame to claim their third national championship in the last four years.

With a final score of 42-14, Alabama left no doubt as to who was the best college football in the nation. The Crimson Tide started the game off with a touchdown drive of 82 yards, the longest touchdown drive the Irish gave up all season. After that, the Tide never looked back, leading 35-0 by the middle of the third quarter. The Irish only crossed midfield once.

Coming into the game, the number-one ranked Irish were an underdog by a spread of 10 points. Although the Irish had Heisman Trophy runner-up Manti Te’o on their side, he was a non-factor, as the Tide  offense was unstoppable with their two star running backs, Eddie Lacy and T.J. Yeldon.

Early in the game, there were a few questionable referee calls, most notably when the Irish were flagged for interfering with a fair catch. However, once replays were shown, it was clear that one member of Alabama had actually bumped into the player, not the Irish.

Alabama head coach Nick Saban secured his fourth title with the Tide, the first coming in 2003 when he coached the Louisiana State Tigers. Only Paul “Bear” Bryant, a former Alabama coach himself, has more titles to his name.

The quarterback of the Tide, A.J. McCarrron, became the first quarterback to win back-to-back BCS Championship Games. Former Matador Ken Dorsey was unsuccessful in his own attempt to win back-to-back championships in 2003 for the Miami Hurricanes.

McCarron passed for 264 yards and four touchdowns, but running back Lacy claimed the offensive Most Valuable Player. For the defense, C.J. Mosley of Alabama picked up Defensive MVP honors.