Bay Area MLB Teams Look Forword to 2013

MCT Campus

A.J. Griffin throws a fastball at homeplate during an exhibition game.

Jack Kovalik, Staff Writer

Giants
Coming off their second World Championship in three years, the San Francisco Giants have plenty to look forward to in the 2013 season. A few new additions the the Giants’ roster are Tony Abreu, Andres Torres and Sandy Rosario. 2013 will be Torres’ first season back in the orange and black after playing for the New York Mets.
A few of the Giants from 2012 that will not be returning are Xavier Nady, Eli Whiteside, Aubrey Huff, Brian Wilson, Freddie Sanchez and the disgraced Melky Cabrera. As far as hitting, the Giants will again rely on the power of Pablo Sandoval and Buster Posey. Hunter Pence could also make a splash with a few homers for San Francisco. The team finished sixth in the National League for total runs scored, despite a dismal 103 home runs, the last in the league.
For the rotation, Tim Lincecum hopes to return to his earlier form, from before the 2012 season. By a few standards, Lincecum was the worst starter in the Major Leagues. Lincecum has tried to put the last season in his rearview, sporting a fresh new haircut and a positive attitude.
The bullpen is still very solid, despite losing closer Wilson. Sergio Romo looks to continue his great run as the closer for the team.

A’s
After a fantastic and surprising 2012 season, capped off by an American League West Title, the A’s will look to improve upon last year’s performance. A strong core of the entire roster will be returning, with some departures, including Brandon McCarthy, Jonny Gomes, Cliff Pennington and Chris Carter. A few important additions in the offseason were Chris Young, Jed Lowrie and Japanese star Hiroyuki Nakajima.
Brett Anderson and Jarrod Parker will lead a strong rotation. Last year’s rotation posted a 3.80 Earned Run Average, good for third in the American League. An important part of the 2013 season will be the health of Anderson. Anderson returned for the end of the 2012 season, after having to undergo Tommy John surgery. If Anderson can stay healthy, it would bode extremely well for Oakland’s chances of returning to the playoffs.
Oakland hit a measly .238 throughout the 2012 season, third worst in the big leagues. Left fielder Yoenis Cespedes will be key if the A’s would like to sustain the success they achieved last year. Also, the presence of Brandon Moss and Josh Reddick will be important to the offensive schemes. 2013 will prove for both of those players if their stellar performances from last year were flukes or if they are true and sustainable stars.