Louisville Cardinals Overcome Hardship and Win NCAA Championship

Kevin Ware cuts down the net after the Louisville Cardinals defeat the Michigan Wolverines 82-76

Davis Walker and Kyle Rechnitz, Staff Writer

Louisville guard Luke Hancock led the Cardinals to victory in an exciting National championship game against the Trey Burke-led Michigan Wolverines. After overcoming a 12-point deficit, Louisville went on to win 82-76 with Hancock going 5-5 beyond the arc.
Louisville’s hunger for a championship win was undoubtedly fueled by Kevin Ware’s season-ending leg injury in Louisville’s Midwest Regional final against Duke. The compound fracture was more than just another run-of-the-mill sports injury. Ware’s bone was broken mid-shin, and clearly protruded from the skin. The break was gruesome; television networks refused to replay it more than once, and athletic trainers rushed to cover it up with towels. What’s more, it seemed as if Ware was the least affected emotionally by the injury. Several Louisville teammates fell to the floor in shock and sadness, and even stalwart coach Rick Pitino brushed back tears.
The Final Four this year was interesting to say the least, containing the predictable first seeded Louisville, the not-so-predictable fourth seeds Michigan and Syracuse, and the Cinderella ninth seed, Wichita State. The Wichita State Shockers, led by stars Carl Hall and Cleanthony Early, startled everyone with their win against number one seed Gonzaga. Early and Hall both had 16 points in this exciting six point victory.
Being the first 15 seed to make it to the Sweet Sixteen, Florida Gulf Coast shocked the world with their impressive performance. Florida Gulf Coast’s Sherwood Brown played a main role in the win against the powerhouse two seed, Georgetown. They then went on to take care of San Diego State, finally losing in the Sweet Sixteen to the Florida Gators.
Another bracket buster, that no one had predicted, was Harvard. The Crimson shocked everyone when they picked up their first win in tournament history against the number three seed New Mexico. The New Mexico Lobos were favorites to go far in the tournament and highly favored to win the game, but this time Harvard’s heart overcame the talent of the Lobos.
The intensity of March Madness doesn’t show up anywhere else in sports. Every team reaching for the same goal makes it an exciting and crazy event: “It’s amazing how insane people go over brackets, and the players’ love for the sport makes it that much more amazing,” Owen Chang ‘15 said.
All around the country people rush to get their brackets filled out. Not even the President was too busy to fill one out, and Miramonte students were no exception. Many think of March as the best time of the year: “I look forward to March every year,” Neil Weikert ‘15 said. “I love filling out a bracket and rooting for my teams; Rock Chalk Jayhawk.”