Matadors Take on NCS Playoff Competition

Kaitlin Fenn, Staff Writer

Men’s Tennis: The men’s tennis season this year marked one of the best season’s in Miramonte tennis history. They destroyed their competition throughout the season, going 27-1, and won first place in team NCS over Monte Vista.

After winning the DFAL title for the second year in a row, the Mats continued their outstanding performance as the number one seed in the playoffs. They shut out Sonoma Valley 7-0 in the first round at home on Tuesday, May 7 and went on to face Castro Valley on May 9 in their home quarterfinal match. They defeated the Trojans 6-1 to move into the semifinals against Redwood.

The team battled, and their intensity and hard play led to yet another win, this time a close 4-3.

“We were feeling relieved and happy to make it to the finals once again but knew that we would have another tough match against Monte Vista,” Neil Weikert ‘15 said.

The Mats hadn’t lost a match the entire season, and they weren’t about to change that in the championship. They took down third-seeded Monte Vista 6-1 to win their second Division I NCS title in two years.

In individual NCS, Luke Bohuslav ‘13 competed in the singles bracket, and two doubles pairs, Andrew Tan ‘13 and Peter Martin ‘15, and Weikert and Sasha Lilichenko ‘15 made it to the doubles competition.

Bohuslav earned the third seed in Division I and won two matches before losing in the semifinals 3-6, 3-6 on Saturday, May 4 to the second seed, Andrew Gu ‘15 from Albany. He tied for third place.

Both doubles pairs were placed in the top bracket and won their first and second round matches. The next day they met in the semifinals and after three intense sets, Tan and Martin emerged the victor, defeating Weikert and Lilichenko 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 and earning a spot in the finals. They lost the championship 6-1, 7-5 to Parker Silverman ‘13 and Dominic Barretto ‘16 from Redwood.

After NCS, the Mats moved on to state competition and were hoping to redeem themselves after finishing in third last year.

“Our goal was to make the state finals, but we ended up losing in the semifinals, which is still a major accomplishment,” Bohuslav said.

They lost a close match to Serra High School 4-3 on May 18, which ended their remarkable run.

“This was an unbelievably special season, definitely one of the best in Miramonte tennis history. We accomplished all of our major goals that we set for ourselves in the beginning of the year,” Bohuslav said.

Men’s Lacrosse: The men’s lacrosse team was granted a six seed in NCS Division II this year out of the thirteen teams that made the playoffs.

“We felt confident going into the playoffs and felt we had a pretty good seed. We knew we were definitely underdogs, but we wanted to go out and play hard,” Mac Lavis ’14 said. The teams goal going into NCS was to win as many games as possible, taking it game by game, and hopefully reach the championship.

They started off the first round with a home game against Sonoma Academy on Wednesday, May 15. The Mats trampled the Coyotes, crushing them 17-3 in their last home game of the season. Nick Sheehan ‘13, Joey Forman ‘13, Jack Murphy ‘14, Connor Gallegos ‘14, and Jackson Doyle ‘14 were some of the players that contributed to the score. With the win, they moved on to the quarterfinals to play the third seed, Piedmont, on Friday, May 17 at Piedmont.

The first time they played each other during the regular season the Mats lost 19-8. This time around they started off the game strong, but couldn’t score enough to keep up with the Highlanders, and lost 15-5. The boys ended their season with an overall record of 12-10.

“I feel like we had a good season. After a few close non-league games that we lost we came back and got 2nd in DFAL,” Sheehan said.

The men’s lacrosse team was granted a six seed in NCS Division II this year out of the thirteen teams that made the playoffs.

Women’s Lacrosse: The Lady Mats were seeded fourth this year, behind Acalanes, University and Campolindo. All three teams posed a potential threat to the girls’ hopes of a championship title because they had lost to each one during the regular season.

“I was disappointed to be seeded behind Campo,” Captain Lauren Dougherty ‘13 said, “We beat them once and they beat us once. They beat us the second time, which I guess means more.”

Despite landing one seed behind Campo, the girls still earned a first round home game against fifth seeded Piedmont on Friday, May 17. The game was a battle as the lead constantly swung back and forth, and by the end of regulation the score was tied 10-10.

“I was really nervous. It’s hard to be a goalie and watch what is happening on the field and not be able to do much about it. I just wanted to win so we could keep going in NCS and play Acalanes again,” co-captain Maddy Bush ’13 said.

The girls headed into overtime, and Piedmont scored first to go up 11-10. The Lady Mats fought back though, and after six minutes of overtime play, the score ended in a second tie, 12-12. A sudden death period ensued. Lauren Pejza ‘16 recovered the starting draw and passed to Caroline Tague ‘15 who’s shot rebounded out of the goal. Maddie Geary ‘15 scooped up the ground ball, ran outside to the 12 meter mark, and found Hannah Friel ‘14 who took it around the crease and rifled the ball into the back of the net for the winning goal.

“When I shot it, I knew it was going in, so I immediately jumped up and ran over to my teammate Rachael Purcell ‘14 to hug her. I ended up accidentally throwing her to the ground, but she forgave me because we won. It was probably the best moment of my life,” Friel said.

The Lady Mats moved on to the semifinals to face rival Acalanes at Acalanes on May 23.

The team was hopeful for an upset win over the first seed, but the Dons took control of the game early and never looked back. After the first half, Acalanes had a six goal lead and was up by eleven with only a few minutes left. Friel won the next three draws and took the ball to goal each time to bring the Lady Mats within single digits, but it wasn’t enough to get the win. They lost 9-19 and ended their season with an overall 12-9 record.

“I definitely wanted to win the NCS championship, but I couldn’t have asked for a better group of girls to play with for my final season at Miramonte. No words can describe how much I will miss every minute I spent on that field,” Dougherty said.

Swimming: Miramonte swimming had a successful run during the DFAL meet. Both the girls and boys team placed third. The girls finished the meet with a score of 388.5 and the boys a 383.

On Friday, May 17 the swim team headed out to Concord for their NCS prelim, and on Saturday the 18th they competed in the finals.

Going into the finals, the team’s goals were for the men to place in third and the women to place in sixth. They achieved both goals, as the men earned a score of 167 and finished in third and the girls finished in sixth with a score of 104.

“It’s hard to get a good idea of where you stand throughout the season as swims during league meets don’t always relate to how you will swim at NCS. Miramonte has always done pretty well though so I wasn’t too worried about us having a poor showing,” Charlie Wiser ‘13 said.

This year, Wiser got first place in the 200 IM and second place in the 100 yard breaststroke. Wiser swam a 53.67 in breast and broke yet another record, this time both the national and NCS record, but he was .18 seconds behind Campo’s Stephen Stumph who set the new standard at 53.39.

“Initially it was bittersweet because all I really comprehended was that I had gotten second, not the time I put up. But as my adrenaline died down and I was more in the moment, I was thrilled with my time and in awe that I am the second fastest high school breaststroker in American history,” Wiser said.

Wiser’s first place time in the 200 IM was 1:49.62, 2.32 seconds faster than teammate Albert Miao ‘13 who came in second.

Wiser and Miao were also part of a 200 yard medley relay team, along with Jason Lammert ‘13 and Gabe Ostler ‘14, that got third place.

On the girls side, Erin Shoenfeld ‘14, Marie Claire Shillinger ‘15, Annie Larsen ‘14, and Elise Goetzl ‘14 also finished in third in their 200 yard medley relay.

“Obviously this season was the best I’ve had in terms of my times, but it was also the best possible way I could’ve finished my athletic career as a Matador. I had an awesome group of guys that I enjoyed swimming with everyday and had a great time all year,” Wiser said.

Track and Field: Track and field competed in their Tri-Valley NCS meet at Granada High School on May 18 before heading to the NCS Meet of Champions.

Tyler Hanson ‘13 placed third in his 3200 meter race at Tri-Valley and was one of the six Matadors to qualify for the Meet of Champions. Although there were less participants in the MOC than there were last year, the six long distance runners that qualified, three boys and three girls, along with one sprinter, still put up a fight. There were no field competitors or relay teams that moved on to the MOC.

On the boys side, Hanson, Mark Tamminga ‘13, and Dillon Reed ‘13 all reached the finals for the 1600 meter race. Tamminga and Reed both ran personal record times in trials and Tamminga PR’d again in the finals when he finished in 4:20.77. He was the first Mat to cross the line, coming in seventh, immediately followed by Hanson in 4:22.29, and Read in 4:22.80.

“Finishing seventh and eighth, although it’s not where you necessarily want to end up and sometimes not where you expect to end up, is still pretty good because you are competing against athletes from all schools in all divisions,” former Miramonte track coach Brian Henderson said.

All three girls that qualified for the MOC competed in the 800. Tina Romak ‘13, Lindsey Buckel ‘14, and Georgia Roden ‘15 finished their finals race heats within seconds of each other. Buckel crossed the line with a time of 2:21.55 and 15th place and Romak came in 16th in 2:22.09. Roden finished 21st, two seconds behind Romak, in 2:24.79.

Keara Deakins ‘13 who ran in the 200 and 400 yard dash in the MOC came in 16th in the 400 and 14th didn’t qualify for the finals.

“Our team did okay at NCS this year. It wasn’t our best year but we still have a lot of good performances by some of our best runners. Overall, I think we had a very long season and it showed at the meet. We ran so many races this year and sometimes it’s difficult to run your best on every occasion. I personally did not do as well as I would have liked to.That’s one nice thing about running though, no single meet defines you as a runner. Your times and personal records speak for themselves,” Tyler Hanson said.

Golf: Men’s golf had their NCS qualifier match at Deer Ridge on Monday, May 6. They brought their top six players, Dominic Paoletti ‘14, Taylor Campbell ‘13, and captains Henry Cassriel ‘14, Kevin Swimmer ‘13 and Patrick Fabian ‘13, to the qualifier.

As a team, they scored an overall 391 on the course to get sixth place out of 24 teams that were competing. All six Matadors qualified for the finals which were held in Petaluma on Monday, May 13.

Despite earning sixth place in the qualifier, the Mats failed to place in the championship. They landed a score of 381, three strokes behind rival Campolindo.

“It was disappointing that we didn’t place in NCS, but now we’re getting ready for next year. I think we will do well and we’re looking to win league,” Paoletti said.

Baseball: The Mats had a tough run in their goal to reach NCS. Overall the team was 9-14 during the regular season, which wasn’t enough to qualify for playoffs.

Softball: As well as the baseball team, the Miramonte softball team didn’t make NCS. They finished their 2013 season with an overall record of 7-16 and went 2-10 in league play.