Miramonte Football Takes Down Analy 23-13

Kaitlin Fenn, Staff Writers

Miramonte upset Analy High School 23-13 last Friday on the Tiger’s home turf in an impressive road win.

The Matador’s defense made a statement early in the first quarter when Jonothan McDonald ‘14 intercepted a pass and returned it 30 yards to put up the first points of the game.

The defense continued to make plays and kept Analy from scoring until halfway through the second quarter, but Miramonte never lost momentum, and Analy only scored once after that.

“Our defense played with so much intensity tonight,” Kris Booze ‘14 said. “We literally broke their will to play the game.”

The Mats scored again off a 21-yard bullet from Drew Anderson ‘14 to Will Fuller ‘14, and went up 20-7 after another pass in the third to Greg Pietrykowski ‘15. Anderson was 27-48 in the victory for 361 yards. Other than the impressive defensive play, he had help from running back Ray Clark ‘14 who had 106 yards on 12 carries in his second 100+ rushing game this season.

Analy scored late in the fourth to make the score 23-13, but after a failed onside kick and a fourth down conversion by the Matadors on the following drive, Analy’s fate was sealed, and Miramonte returned home with the victory.

“This was a really big win for us against a great Analy team, the offense was a bit sloppy tonight but the defense played great and won us the game,” Anderson said. “I think it’s all starting to come together for us to be playing our best football.”

The Mats moved passed Analy in the North Coast Section Division III rankings into the number five spot after the win and are now 2-1.

Come out and support the Mats this Friday, Sep. 20 at home vs. Alemeda High School.