Miramonte Students Take on Summer Sports

Back to Article
Back to Article

Grayson Judge, Staff Writer

In summer, without school to dominate the day, students usually turn to sports to occupy their time. The main summer sport highlights were the Junior Olympics for water polo, the OMPA for rec swimming, and the National Premier League Finals for women’s soccer.

Held in Orange County, the Junior Olympics for water polo is a nationwide event that attracts over 8,000 athletes of both sexes. Miramonte was well represented, with students playing for many regional teams. The Lamorinda 14U A team placed seventh with Tyler Abramson ‘17 and Steven Schmidt ‘17. After the tournament, Abramson was named to the honorable mention tournament All-American team.

“We could have placed higher, but we lost in a close game deep into the tournament and there was no chance to come back,” Abramson said.

The 16U team didn’t live up to expectations, falling to their rivals Contra Costa United early in the tournament.

The 18U team came into the tournament with gold on their minds. Charlie Wiser ‘13, Jack Fellner ‘13, and Drew Holland ‘13 led the team to a respectable third place finish, losing only to the top seeded United Red in the semi-finals.

The girls’ Junior Olympics was a week later. Kristen Hong ‘15 and Shannon Moran ‘15 both played for Diablo Water Polo and earned a respectable seventh place.

“JO’s was not our best summer tournament. We all felt out of shape. We wanted to go all the way, but things happened. There’s always next year,” Hong said.

The Orinda Moraga Pool Association (OMPA) swim meet, the famous recreational swim meet held the first weekend of August each summer, was a huge success. Each of the nine Orinda and Moraga participating clubs came out strong in spirit, and competition, with each club repping their team colors and populating the cheering sections. The legendary snow cone tent was as popular as ever.

“The snow cones are by far the best part about OMPA, because they have so many flavors to choose from,” Alex Zamanian ‘17 said.

In the end, Orinda Country Club triumphed for the 13th year in a row. The reign of the Sharks is still strong, but Sleepy Hollow Swim and Tennis Club showed that they could be dominant in the next few years.

The Lamorinda Soccer Club Women’s United ‘95 team won their league National Cup this summer in Colorado. Ranked in the top 10 in California and top 30 nationally, players Sarah Mills ‘14, Jane Fessenden ‘14, Megan Reid ‘14, Mali Tehaney ‘14, and Courtney Attard ‘14 all competed for United ‘95.

“We have always been just a small club, but we finally made it to the top and our talents were noticed so we were proud and happy of course,” Mills said.